This proposal tries to unify a process for requesting and approving new categories on these forums.
Please, we want to read your input in the comments below!
These forums are intended to be a safe and open space for open mapping communities and contributors and we want people to have the chance to have a space here.
What are we trying to solve:
- Define a process on how to request a new category.
- Understand when a new category is needed vs other options (i.e using tags).
- Ensure new categories are properly resourced for moderation, including enforcing the OSM Etiquette guidelines.
- Ensure there is a healthy leadership rotation among moderators.
Proposal on how to request a new category
- We’ll create a subcategory under #site-feedback to organize requests.
- Request can be done in other languages than English or use a machine translation system to post.
- OSMF local chapters will be consulted when the creation of a location-based category for their region of interest is requested.
- The request should contain:
- The name of the category.
- Will this be a top-level category or a subcategory?
- A description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve.
- Why this category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?
- Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)?
- What the current volume of messages in the old platform (per week/per month)
- Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)
- (Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines, if none OSM Etiquette Guidelines will apply.
- At least 3 users who can commit to moderate the category and enforce the guidelines.
- Any context about these 3 users and why they would be a good moderators.
- An individual message from these 3 users supporting the request and committing to their moderator duties.
- Update (September 16th 2022): Moderator selection criteria
What do you think about this proposal? Add a comment below!
- What do you like the most?
- Is there something missing?
- What would you do different and why?