Amenity=fuel: highway=service with or without service=driveway

Although my own tagging practice and experience has been different for years, I recently stumbled across a recommendation in the wiki to use highway=service with service=driveway for amenity=fuel:

Tag:amenity=fuel - OpenStreetMap Wiki (in section “Surroundings”)

It is also a good idea to tag the ways leading to, through and away from the fuel station with highway=service + service=driveway

This addition was only made on 23.01.2020.

Previously, it was common practice for many years to use only highway=service, without service=driveway. Has this change been discussed before? Are there any good reasons for using driveway that I am not aware of?

Or is this (once again) an individual opinion of a single user and an undiscussed change in the wiki? Should this be reversed?

We have already discussed this in the German forum and a clear majority voted in favour of highway=service without service=driveway.

A random visual check with overpass-turbo revealed that there are only a few petrol stations whose highway=service is additionally tagged with service=driveway. Some of these have been there for many years, others were only added after the change in the wiki.

Thank you for your opinions.

8 Likes

Yes.

lorem ipsum, discursus requirit X litteris, dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hm, only one who gave a clear answer. How I should interpret the 5 reactions, however, is not a clear and unambiguous answer to several questions. Especially when I asked “is it this or this”. Of course, I can also interpret it the way I want to hear it.

sic, adhuc molestat. sed alea iacta est.

You can interpret mine as “thank you for spotting that change”. I think that it would make sense to undo the {{Tag|access|customers}} to {{Tag|service|driveway}} change.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I think they are best tagged just as highway=service.