Where to merge the Panama forum?

Category name

in theory: Panama Forum ­— but read further, please.

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Ideally, this would be a subcategory of LATAM, which is a subcategory of Communities, but we do not have that double sub-option, so I guess it would just flow into the LATAM subcategory, all topics tagged with Panamá? Is that an option?

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

replace the forum#61, local Panama topics. it holds announcements, questions, that are of concern to mappers local to Panama.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

I am opening this topic not because I intend to have a new category created, but just to raise the question where do we merge the Panama Forum to?

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

as said, it already exists as the Panama Forum.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

average possibly much than 1 message per month, seldom some bursts of activity, like one week with 5 messages.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

I hope that the migration of the forum will include the Panama Forum.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

Below the golden rules “assume and practice good faith”, “try to be kind”, I’m fine with the OSM Etiquette Guidelines to apply.

List the usernames of the category moderators

If we merge the Panama Forum into the Latam Category, I wish to apply as moderator for that category. I’ve been the most active contributor and user of the Panama Forum, without having had any official role there. Among other users of the forum, I don’t think any other wishes to do so, but I’m listening. I think that most have not even yet joined this community platform.

Hi,

A clarification would be needed if the Panama community is requesting a category for the country or asking the old forum data to me merged into the existing #communities:latam (I guess with a “panama” tag). If that’s the case, an agreement with the rest of the LATAM community would be desired since messages will be moved there.

If a separate category is requested, a list of at least 3 moderators for Panama should be proposed with a brief description on the reasons to propose each.

Thanks!

your question

that’s a good question, but it assumes (1) there’s a community, (2) that they are taking action.

Asking that “the Panama community” expresses a communal will, that —as far as I’m concerned— has already happened when Cyberjuan posted there on the 7th of April this year, a post that has remained with zero reaction. After that post, there’s been a constant reminder that a deadline would be fixed, now that the deadline has been published and it is imminent, but how many people have asked you @forums-governance to facilitate migration of the forum?

Just for the record, since April the 7th 2022, if I count correctly, there’s been three posts in that forum, one by SeraliaM, two by myself.

back to my question

I hope to save the content of the Panama Forum somewhere, just anywhere … but given the low volume of activity, the low amount of people posting there, and the limited geographic concern of the posts published there, I’m asking your opinion: “where to merge the Panama forum?”.

Anywhere, not necessarily in the LATAM category, can be in #communities:minor_countries, I don’t know, I’m asking you.

I don’t have opinion, whatever the community decides. Other communities have opted to continue and create a country category here.

Old forums messages will be preserved, no data will be lost no matter the community decision on their space here.

so? in the case of an absent community? data remaining stuck on the old forum and not migrated here?

please do consider @AngocA reply to my latest Panama question on the talk-latam mailing list.

1 Like

I -as a LATAM moderator- have no problem with merging the the old forum data from the Panama community into the existing LATAM, adding a “panama” tag. I guess it will be the best approach, while @mariotomo finds moderators for a separate category, in case apply.

I extend the invitation to the @mods-latam to post their opinion/decision on this matter.

1 Like

Veo que tenemos dos conversaciones paralelas sobre el mismo tema… I’m ok with with merging the the old forum data from the Panama community into the existing #communities:latam, adding a “panama” tag. :ok_hand:

1 Like