Central America and the Caribbean community

Category name

Central America and the Caribbean

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

No

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Discussions about all the countries in this area. Also, a space to import thread from forum.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Central America countries have contributed actively in Communities. This show the importance to have an independent space only for them.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

This group already exist in the Wiki: Central America - OpenStreetMap Wiki and ES:Caribe - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Most of the current message in the misnamed Latam community, are for this category.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

No. However, there is a explicit need to have a place for “small” forums: A donde mudar los foros "pequeños"?

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

Any person from this area. There are many people actively contributing in Communities.

Esas páginas del wiki no corresponden con ningún grupo de usuarios. La primera hace referencia a un subcontinente y la segunda a una región de países. Yo mismo creé sus traducciones en español hace algún tiempo. Desde entonces, no han tenido actividad alguna como espacios de encuentro. Tampoco la tuvieron antes.

1 Like

he vivido sei meses en una de las islas del Caribe. Sólo he visitado tres de los estados cercanos al lugar donde vivía, he pasado por Curaçao, y he visto realidades absolutamente incoerentes, sin contacto la una con las otras, ni siquiera entre los miembros de las disueltas Antillas Holandesas. No creo que tengan mucho en común con América Central, no creo que crear una categoría aquí tenga mucho sentido, o resuelva un problema correspondiente.

In this case, let’s create a community only for Panama x7 thread. I see this is one of the few and most active country without a proper community. Panama is more active in Communities than Argentina x4 and even Mexico x7 or Catalan x7*, so this is no excuse to have it without its own space. Also, with all the imports from Forums, that space will be even bigger.

but you are not part of this community you are ventilating, or are you? why do you insist on how others should organize their (non existing) communities? all I’m asking is an area where we can import the “forum#61”, that’s all.

Latam was a good choice in my opinion. if you do not know how to clean up the mess I contributed creating, I guess you did good resigning from your role as moderator, but who knows the platform does allow knowledgeable moderators make some order and remove all the noise and leave all the signal.

once we’ve imported all smaller forum areas (Paraguay, Uruguay, Ecuador, Venezuela, Cuba, and Panama) I’m sure the signal-noise ratio will become more than acceptable.

What makes a person belong to a community?
BTW, according to this list I have contributed in a small portion to Panama: OSMstats - Statistics of the free wiki world map

Let’s ask @Carlos_Eduardo_Rodríguez and @Alvarado2510 about creating a dedicated space for Panama.

1 Like

stai suggerendo che altri si organizzino a modo tuo, senza l’intenzione di partecipare. hai già fondato la #communities:colombia, la LATAM, che urgenza c’è, non lo afferro.

(Disclaimer: I’m not from the proposed region)

I literally yesterday wrote a mega text on another post that was very harsh against the first wave LATAM moderators (so definitely I’m not aligned with the recent issue), and in this case I might be wrong, but I think @AngocA is doing it in good faith. So @mariotomo , the suggestion might not be good in a practical sense, but does not seem to be bad faith.

possibly, you may want to invite them to the (closed) request:

Thanks @AngocA for your help and support to the OpenStreetMap community in Panama. I think sooner or later Panama will need to have its own space dedicated for the country. If you need anything for us, let us now.
Best regards,
@Carlos_Eduardo_Rodríguez