Report vandalism or concerns about edits here

Thanks for answering.
What you said is totally correct, that’s the official way.
BUT don’t you think that is better if you get a ping from our community instead of a single mail from a single person?
Besides that, here in this community thread you can read everything about the ongoing situation.

PS. Greece map is kind of under attack the last few months (for some unexplained reason).
Thank you.

it’s up to you of course, but in each case I’d suggest to comment on the changeset, explaining why it is wrong. If you don’t get a reply and whoever it is doesn’t reply, we can send them a message that they have to read before continuing. If that doesn’t work, we can take further action.

What we’re not going to do is complain about a changeset because “someone on a forum says there is a problem with it”, if the people at the forum haven’t actually commented on the changeset to say what is wrong.

As to why we don’t “just follow this forum”, the problem is that there are lots of other problems too. Greece is around 0.14% of the people on the planet (if my down the pub maths is correct), and other communities have problems too. Having an email address as an out-of-community escalation point allows us to triage all of these issues as they come in.

2 Likes

Nope, these are not just some regular bad edits.
There is no way to comprehend whats happening here just from some comments in some users changesets that they try to circumvent previous blocks.

marczoutendijk knows whats happening here. You can ask him.
And i never asked to “follow this forum”, i just asked to “listen” to pings (mentions) that ask for help.
Anyway, thanks a lot for answering.
Have a nice day.

That’s not going to work, for a couple of reasons:

• Not every DWG person is a member of the group that you “@ed” here.
  • Not everyone in that subset who is in that group here will get those notifications - some may have them turned off (because of the documented ways to contact the DWG, this isn’t one) and some (including me) are in email mode so I literally won’t see anything until I connect to the site and notice a funny icon I don’t recognise.
1 Like

Okay, I have emailed the DWG with regards to Geminiani S. I think the malicious character of the mass deletions should already be obvious.

2 Likes

All changesets (34) of user Geminiani S, regarding mass deletions, have been reverted for vandalism.

2 Likes

For the record, user Γιάννης 10 is adding fictional roads and junctions, such as this and this. This user has already been reported, and hopefully moderator action will be taken. While Sentinel Playground is not used for mapping, we use them to verify the legitimacy of edits.

1 Like

See achavi - Augmented OSM Change Viewer  [attic]

Red, what was
Green what’s something changed to
Yellow what’s new

Seemed to have deleted - red - then drew new ways in same place - yellow - in sections as well where a retag from secondary to primary would have sufficed.

Certainly the ways are showing now don’t match any of the imagery I have access to in ID and JOSM including Bing which is referred to as the source in the CS.

Is this maybe under construction or proposed routing? If so the tagging and mapping is wrong as than both old and future has to be mapped and tagged appropriately.

Anyway

1 Like

Pinging DWG too, in hope someone to address this issue with him.
@osmf-data-wg

It is not in the interest of the Greek community to map roads that have not yet started construction for a simple reason that proposed roads are vulnerable to substantial changes up to the last minute.

In addition, I do not think that even if Greece had all the resources in the world, they would be able to build a road like this in under a month, let alone find a contractor in that kind of timeframe. This is not like Mainland China, where their government actually tries to build projects as fast as possible, usually at the expense of construction quality.

Given that this user has been called out for similar activity as Γιάννης 4, it is difficult for us to assume good faith on these kind of edits.

2 Likes

Changesets of Γιάννης 10 reverted: Vandalism.

1 Like

@marczoutendijk There is another vandal: stockthegame | OpenStreetMap

Examples of imaginary proposed road: Way: ‪Α72‬ (‪1177595078‬) | OpenStreetMap and Relation: ‪Road E46‬ (‪15924388‬) | OpenStreetMap - The E46 does not go through Greece, which is a red flag.

1 Like

Please report it to the DWG by email, in the normal way. I very much doubt that Marc will notice a comment here.

1 Like

He is reported. Someone from @osmf-data-wg has to take action before he does any more harm.
(otherwise i will have to take action my self) :grinning:

When you report a user that goes into the admin queue, and if it’s a DWG issue it’ll get thrown over the fence to us. However, the admins are volunteers, and sleep sometimes. If you email data@openstreetmap.org the DWG will see it immediately. We are volunteers too (and also sleep) so you might not get an immediate response, but we will at least see the message.

This latest account has been blocked in https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/7170. Revert completed** at https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/136929482.

Apart from user blocks and data redactions, you can do anything that the DWG can…

** There were a few “have been edited by other users since” errors that could benefit from local checking:

cannot restore relation 5547389 to version 220 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore relation 5663318 to version 120 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore relation 5650924 to version 509 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore relation 400179 to version 310 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore way 1023356108 to version 2 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore way 295249834 to version 11 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore way 295795585 to version 10 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore way 452064934 to version 4 (put): 409 Conflict
cannot restore way 258950639 to version 8 (put): 409 Conflict
2 Likes

Blocked in https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/7171.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reaction.
We will take care the conflicts.
Thanks.

Hello,

There have been further edits, since 24th May. However, as an example, one of those deletions was of something added and then edited in detail by the same mapper. It doesn’t look like a normal “vandalism” story. Of the edits to that building, which is the correct one?

1 Like

Version 8 is fine.

OK, do you want to just “undelete” that? What about the other recent deletions?