OpenAEDMap - a map of Automatic External Defibrillators

There wasn’t any general thread about this, so let me create one :slight_smile:
OpenAEDMap ( https://openaedmap.org/ ) lets you browse and add Automatic External Defibrillators (emergency=defibrillator) to OpenStreetMap. It’s open source, written in Python, SQL+PostGIS and JS+React. To my knowledge it’s the only global OSM-based AED map with vector tiles, so it’s much faster than others which use Overpass API.

How can you help?

• The simplest way is to add AEDs you encounter in public. As you can see from the map, there are still countries with almost no AEDs mapped in OSM! The mobile version is installable, so you can add it to the home screen.
  • Help translate the interface with Weblate
  • If you know Python and PostGIS: help resolve an issue with vector tiles not refreshing. The app is pretty easy to deploy thanks to Docker, but I wasn’t able to track down what part of logic is broken :frowning:

13 Likes

I am happy to announce that due to @NorthCrab’s efforts the backend has been totally re-written and all AEDs show up on the map in a matter of minutes! This also adjusted the numbers you see on the country labels.

1 Like

Mapped one what we call a DAE in Rapino last weekend discovered while sheltering for the pouring rain in a gallery. Checked and sure enough it shows up exactly where I left it, on the map. Goodos.

Pinning on this map while underway is nice, now take a picture with lat/lon per the phone GPS and map them when back behind the keyboard.

In the meantime, a feature for adding photos to the map has been implemented! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We need your help. The traffic to OpenAEDMap is abysmal, usually 100 views or less per day. Below is a sample from last 24h:

To do that SEO needs to be improved. This means localizing the title and description. There’s an issue for that:

AFAIK there’s no localized string for this right now, but you can post translations in the issue comments.
Also, please share the openaedmap.org to people who may find it useful, so far it’s the only such map with freely-licensed data, available from the browser, using modern technology stack. The more links to it, the better it will rank in search engines. (* - as long as there’s no rel=nofollow attribute on links as is usual for user-generated content)

I’m currently working on translating the website to Portuguese :slight_smile: and I see that the meta tags are being added to Weblate.

Good work!

4 Likes

Thanks for Portuguese translation!
I deployed to production as 90% of texts are already translated.

BTW Thanks to all our translators :slight_smile:

Cool site, I tried it out for a while, and I plan to use it to survey AED in my city.
I have a problem tho, I can’t login with my account, I get this error:

"Si è verificato un errore
L'uri di redirect incluso non è valido."

(DeepL: “An error occurred
The included redirect url is invalid.”, also I guess “uri” is a typo for “url”?).

Image is not displayed even if added with wikimedia_commons= (example: OpenAEDMap - Map of Defibrillators). Maybe only image=* is supported? This wouldn’t help me during a survey because I wouldn’t know if the AED already has an image or not.

If I hover the mouse on the legend icons I get a pop up with the corresponding OSM tag (access=yes, access=private ecc.). It would be cool if was the same for the icons on the left, so phone=, opening_hours=, check_date= ecc. maybe it could help new users getting curious about OSM tags?

I have a problem tho, I can’t login with my account, I get this error:

Thanks for the report. I am working on a fix. https://openaedmap.org works. Issue is on language urls e.g. OpenAEDMap - Map of Defibrillators

Image is not displayed even if added with wikimedia_commons= (example: OpenAEDMap - Map of Defibrillators). Maybe only image=* is supported? This wouldn’t help me during a survey because I wouldn’t know if the AED already has an image or not.

I think @NorthCrab is working on supporting wikimedia_commons on the backend.
On the frontend side we need to display licence, author etc.

If I hover the mouse on the legend icons I get a pop up with the corresponding OSM tag (access=yes, access=private ecc.). It would be cool if was the same for the icons on the left, so phone=, opening_hours=, check_date= ecc. maybe it could help new users getting curious about OSM tags?

We wil consider it :slight_smile:. I created issue: Information about OSM tags on hover in AED editor · Issue #199 · openstreetmap-polska/openaedmap-frontend · GitHub

1 Like

Indeed, Wikimedia Commons support is currently missing.
I will work on that: Support wikimedia_commons images · Issue #47 · openstreetmap-polska/openaedmap-backend · GitHub.

– Update: works now

Wow, that was fast :smiley:

I went for a survey today, and I have other points I want to share. If I click an AED and then click “Edit”, all the fields are blank, even if the tag is already present on OSM. An example, this AED is already tagged as indoor=no, but if I click it on OpenAEDMap and the click “Edit”, no option is flagged. I would expect to have blanks only for questions that are not mapped yet. Also on the bottom, the button to confirm the edits says “Aggiungi un DAE” (translated: “Add an AED”). Shouldn’t it be “Edit the AED”? I didn’t try to confirm the edits because I worry a new AED will be added or the blank options will overwrite the tags already present.

When attempting an edit, an error is thrown in the browser console, which could explain the empty fields. This obviously is not an expected behavior. @starsep

1 Like

I’m also astonished there are place with so few mapped AEDs, especially Albania (0) and India (2!) :0
I wonder what’s the reason, if lack of mapping or lack of AEDs.

2 Likes

Please help fill the title and description in your language. It will improve SEO. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Do also check if other strings need translation: Open AED Map @ Hosted Weblate

1 Like

@ivanbranco @NorthCrab
Thanks for the report.
I fixed it: edit form wasn’t properly loaded because data comes there from OpenStreetMap API and one field was missing provided by OpenAEDMap backend elsewhere.

Italian updated thanks to @Mannivu :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I hope participants in this discussion are also willing to give their opinion here "How to map" emergency=defibrillator

(fyi I just completed the Dutch translation)

OpenAEDMap has migrated to PostgreSQL!

3 Likes