Finding new images for OSM Wiki - help welcomed!

OSM Wiki has huge number of images with unclear copyright status, and ideally we would replace them with images that has no such issues.

See for example Category:Media without a license - OpenStreetMap Wiki if you want to help.

If you prefer to not deal with any copyright (which is a good thing for mental health) you can look through Wikimedia Commons to find replacements for specific images listed in this thread.

You can either edits OSM Wiki directly to replace old ones. You can use Wikimedia Commons images directly on OSM Wiki, and all images following their rules are safe to use.

You can also edit file page at OSM Wiki to link a potential replacement.

Or just reply in this thread with a proposed replacement which will be already helpful.

Look at the end of thread ( click on latest timestamp on overwiev ) to see images where replacement is needed.

For images that are stubborn one may ask for help at Commons:File requests - Wikimedia Commons and Commons:Graphic Lab/Illustration workshop - Wikimedia Commons

3 Likes

Currently looking for:

heath illustration to replace File:Heath.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Fast food in India, preferably McDonald to replace File:Fast food India.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

By the way, if an illustration or diagram needs a freely licensed replacement, the Wikimedia Commons illustration workshop is a good place to ask graphic designers for help. At WikiConference North America + Mapping USA today, one of the participants asked us for more things to draw – they’re quite tired of drawing heraldic coats of arms!

6 Likes

heath illustration to replace File:Heath.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Wikipedia page has one as “cover” and also links to a Commons category.

1 Like

Talking of illustrations: if there’s any text in a diagram or illustration, it can be translated with the SVG Translate tool and then used on the OSM wiki with syntax like [[File:Example.svg|lang=fr]].

4 Likes

I believe the core problem of this is that Wiki doesn’t ask about copyright when inserting a new image. I just tried and it doesn’t suggest to insert copyright anywhere. So a common user doesn’t have any way to know until they get an automated e-mail from Mateusz (well, at least I got it after years of inserting the images).
I suppose it’s not easy to change or it would have been done already, but a simple roll-down menu with licenses when uploading a new image to the OSM Wiki would be really helpful.

5 Likes

The upload form does have a ‘Licensing’ field, but you’re right in that it’s not enforced. Probably lots of people don’t know what it’s for.

That said, isn’t there an argument to be made that if no more specific license is specified then the default license of the wiki (CC-BY-SA 2.0) applies?

Although I don’t really know what images would be suitable for the OSM wiki but not suitable for Wikimedia Commons — it’s of wider benefit to upload to Commons, I think. (And licenses are much more enforced over there, which both makes it easier for reuse and maybe more confusing for uploaders.)

4 Likes

This does not work for images where uploader has no rights to license them (for example random image found on the internet)

Also, I am not entirely sure is “surprise! now anyone worldwide can use this photo because you accepted ToU” is really working as far as legal side is applying.

We have Template:Assumed-CC-BY-SA-2.0-self - OpenStreetMap Wiki that can be applied to uploads

Yes, in almost all cases upload to Wikimedia Commons is a better idea.

If we decide that uploads like File:OpenStreetMap data used by Google Maps.png - OpenStreetMap Wiki can be kept on fair use (we have not really decided anything about that, see this discussion - and I am not 100% sure whether it can be kept or not )

For latest uploads it is lower problem as users will get my notification relatively quickly - but ideally that would be fixed.

There is this request but so far noone figured out what needs to be changed.

So far Wiki:Requests for administrator attention - OpenStreetMap Wiki is waiting for adding stronger hint that Commons uploads may be preferred.

1 Like

That said, isn’t there an argument to be made that if no more specific license is specified then the default license of the wiki (CC-BY-SA 2.0) applies?

one could argue it is already like this, the question is whether it is safe to assume that the uploader is the author.

2 Likes

Currently looking for a specific image for:

Fast food in India, preferably McDonald to replace File:Fast food India.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

AED in vending machine - to replace File:AED Japan Vending.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Place clearly allowing camping but has no infrastructure whatsoever, to replace File:Camp site backcountry.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (if nothing can be found then one of images listed there can be used, maybe File:Refuge Cove, Wilsons Promontory National Park 12.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki - but it will be barely visible as a miniature).

In all cases - you can also take photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons! (they have a better upload process than OSM Wiki, mostly because their community is much much bigger and centers around file uploads)

2 Likes

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=AED+vending+machine&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image

This one is harder to search for because it’s easy to be mistaken for a “normal” camp site (with amenities)

I found this, apparently it’s already mapped on OSM, but it should be confirmed by some local whether it has or not amenities.

2 Likes

Is any of them for AED in vending machine? Seems to be rather AED and vending machines in one photo. And on File:Wakayamashi-nankai-soba.jpg - Wikimedia Commons you do not really see anything.

Though maybe given its use in huge galleries it can be simply removed without replacement.

I think that it is fine if nothing is visible on the photo itself (I have taken some photos arranged to illustrate situation not happening in reality, for example https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Concrete_steps_without_visible_ramp.jpg/640px-Concrete_steps_without_visible_ramp.jpg was cropped to exclude ramp behind it - see OpenStreetMap - and File:Concrete steps without visible ramp.jpg - Wikimedia Commons was used for illustration of “no ramp” situation)

TBH I hadn’t scanned the photos closely

On File:Wakayamashi-nankai-soba.jpg - Wikimedia Commons it says “vending machine with AED built-in” on the side.

Now that I’ve taken a look at the photos, it seems File:Oumi Railway Oumi-Hachiman Station gate.jpg - Wikimedia Commons is the only other photo with an AED in a vending machine. It has the same notice on the side too, partially covered. There’s another notice at the top saying the same thing (partially covered in the other photo).

But yeah, neither photo is particularly great

I thought you wanted one with an info board/plaque stating the thing is a camp site
 If no boards are needed it’s easier to find some. :smiley:

ideally: something that would make clear that it is a designated camping site

this platform with tent is not ideal, but it is something

I don’t know where the dialog you posted appears, but when I upload it when editing a page, I don’t see any field like that.

2 Likes

one could argue it is already like this, the question is whether it is safe to assume that the uploader is the author.

@dieterdreist Good point. It’s definitely good to ask for confirmation.

I don’t know where the dialog you posted appears, but when I upload it when editing a page, I don’t see any field like that.

@_0174 That screenshot was fromSpecial:Upload, which is accessible via a link in the sidebar. But you’re right, the form you posted, which is built into the editing toolbar, does not have the same field!

2 Likes

Currently looking for a specific image for:

permanent turnstile in a field File:Barrier drehkreuz.JPG - OpenStreetMap Wiki for Tag:barrier=turnstile - OpenStreetMap Wiki (or maybe indoor one also would be fine?)

---- repeated:

AED in vending machine - to replace File:AED Japan Vending.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (there is one candidate, but not great)

Place clearly allowing camping but has no infrastructure whatsoever, to replace File:Camp site backcountry.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (if nothing can be found then one of images listed there can be used, maybe File:Refuge Cove, Wilsons Promontory National Park 12.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki - but it will be barely visible as a miniature). EDIT: now asked also on Commons

In all cases - you can also take photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons! (they have a better upload process than OSM Wiki, mostly because their community is much much bigger and centers around file uploads)

R2. Did you consider ăƒ•ă‚Ąă‚€ăƒ«:Vender equips aed.jpg - Wikipedia ? Very low resolution. Few choice for integrated ones.

1 Like