What is the proper way to tag visible company markings on ATM/car charger etc?

Currently common way to tag company marking on for example ATM is to tag it in operator tag.

But it seems clearly wrong to me, after all ATM branded Euronet can be operated by Euronet, or by someone taking part in franchise or contracted away to some contractor.

I think that for example

should be tagged as brand=Euronet - which is verifiable by mappers. Not as operator=Euronet which is just guessing internal company structure.

Triggered by Ask about charging station brand, not about charging station operator · Issue #3782 · streetcomplete/StreetComplete · GitHub

This topic discussed also in Considering showing `brand` not `operator` for `amenity=atm` labels · Issue #4575 · gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto · GitHub and ATM Brand versus Operator · Issue #6158 · osmlab/name-suggestion-index · GitHub

3 Likes

Hi

In case of contractor who take care of the amenity, operator=* should remain at who pays the contractor.
We are not supposed to be aware of such private links between companies. Contractors may be provided with branded cars on which the contractor company isn’t even marked.

Maybe, but even then franchise part would still apply

Yes and then operator=* should get the franchise company name, which is the hardest part but not impossible to solve.
Often, the franchise company name is written next to the main door or on emergency map

I’m not aware of us mapping franchisees for MacDonalds, Costa Coffee, Subway, or sub-contracted operators or bus companies (e.g. Swiss Postbus often has lots of local operators). In general we want to keep tagging to that which it is reasonable someone can ascertain by looking at the thing mapped. This latter approach also helps for subsequent validation.

OTOH we do discriminate between the two Aldis and in the UK we have made some effort to identify operators of Co-op branded stores, simply because there are enough significant differences between them. I vaguely recall coming across a chain in the mid-West US which had a long complex history requiring such fine discrimination, but such cases are rare.

There’s likely to be consolidation, re-branding etc with charging point suppliers anyway.

1 Like

I agree, but note that operator=Subway is wrong on many Subways, while brand=Subway is easy to verify and correct.

2 Likes

I’m not aware of us mapping franchisees for MacDonalds, Costa Coffee, Subway, or sub-contracted operators or bus companies (e.g. Swiss Postbus often has lots of local operators).

For McDonald’s there are certainly instances where “operator” is tagged as the operating company (franchisee or McDonald’s local company), while brand is typically just McDonald’s, there are some few variations of ’ vs ‘ but that’s a different issue.

Of 27300 brand=McDonald’s there are less than 1000 operator=McDonald’s

There are also 26800 name=McDonald’s 98% of which have a brand=McDonald’s tag and only 9% any operator tag

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=McDonald’s#combinations

According to Tag:amenity=atm - OpenStreetMap Wiki, network=Euronet.
Cajeros automåticos en España