What is the (british) english term for the wheel part of the mining shaft infrastructure?

I dived into the tagging of objects of mining infrastructure that can commonly be seen on village greens or village entrances in former mining areas, because I live in one - and I’ve seen these objects often but did not map them. I will change that.

What is a good term for that part (not the bicycle in front :slight_smile: ):

In German it’s called “Seilscheibe” and the english version of the website of the Deutsches Bergbaumuseum is using “pulley” for this.

Is there a better translation?
It seems to be as hard as it was for @Herwescheluc with his minecart question to find an adequate english term.

I would like to tag it with

Ideas how to tag it better?

3 Likes

Winding Wheel is used a fair bit.

4 Likes

That’s really great, a web search with “winding wheel pit” and getting

Searching with “pulley pit” gets good results too, but with a great lot of “ordinary” pulleys.

Combo of both, but I knew them as “pit wheels” pit wheel - Google Search

You may be interested in Glossary of mill machinery - Wikipedia as well?

2 Likes

Turm oder Gerüst?
Es gibt da ein Unterschied.

1 Like

Den kenne ich jetzt auch. War für mich bisher ein- und dasselbe. Ich zitiere aus

Wikipedia, Liste der Fördertürme im Saarland

und hier gab es kaum Fördertürme :slight_smile:

Korrigiertes Tagging

2 Likes

Pit wheel finds too much mill machinery - and because of that I find winding wheel the better term. Very interesting is Pit Wheels – tony wade, exactly what I’m interested in mapping in the region where I live: the German Federal State Saarland and the French Arrondissement Forbach-Boulay-Moselle.

Mine carts will be found nearly everywhere, winding wheels mostly at villages or towns where coal mines did exist. It will be a nice challenge to visit all those villages, pay attention to these objects, take photos of them and map the missing ones.

1 Like

I’ve heard “headstock wheel” too.

1 Like

That seems to me even better! One of my first search results was
https://miningheritage.co.uk/headstocks/
and I quote (bold text by me)

Thank you!

1 Like

Hier fand ich:

Es war also ein Gerüst :wink:

Eventuell kannst du schreiben: Seilscheibe des ehemaligen Fördergerüsts über Schacht Delbrück II oder so ähnlich.

Es war bestimmt ein Fördergerüst, weil es fast nur Fördergerüste gab bzw. gibt.
Delbrück Schacht II steht noch, steht unter Denkmalschutz, hab’ ich auch schon mehr als einmal fotografiert:

Sofern es nicht auf einem Schild steht, ist es besser keine Angabe zu machen, woher das Objekt stammt.

1 Like

Hast du auch ein Foto vom Fördermaschinenhaus, und zwar von der seite wo das Seil hinein geht?
Auf den Luftbildern sieht das sehr komisch aus.

Auf die Schnelle hab’ ich bei meinen Bildern nur ein schlechteres gefunden (an einem Regentag gemacht):

aber vielleicht ist hier was passendes dabei: Category:Delbrückschacht (Klarenthal) – Wikimedia Commons

1 Like

Wenn im Gerüst zwei Scheiben waren mit zwei Meter zwischenraum dann komme ich schon fast gar nicht im Fördermaschinenhaus sondern daneben. Leider ist das auf sämtlichen Bildern nicht gut zu sehen.

1 Like

Schau’ Dir https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Dellbrückschacht_in_Klarenthal_Saarbrücken.jpg?uselang=de von vor etwa einem Jahr in groß an. Es sind zwei Scheiben zu sehen, der Abstand ist sicher keine zwei Meter.
Aber es wäre schon möglich, dass es zwei solcher "Doppelscheiben gegeben hat, denn auf meinem Bild ist zu sehen, dass diese sehr weit seitlich angeordnet sind.

Diese scheinen in 2020 restauriert worden zu sein, denn in Bildern aus diesen Jahren sind überhaupt keine zu sehen, meine Bilder sind aus 2018 (Regen) und 2019 (Sonne).

Die Anzahl der “Speichen” passt nicht zur Seilscheibe aus meinem ersten Beitrag.

Ich fand noch Fotos und habe versucht den Abstand zu errechnen und komme auf 1,04 m. (Die Scheiben sind gerade noch sichtbar)

Trotzdem befinden sich die Scheiben ungefär mittig des buildings das auch in OSM steht.
Ich versteh das Ganze nicht, vielleicht waren ursprünglich zwei Fördermaschinenhäuser geplant.

Headframe seems to be the most generic term for all of these in their original state, if we want to form a new tag or subtag: Headframe - Wikipedia

When part of it is incorporated into a “village entrance” type of sign/structure, per the original post on this thread, the term I would use is “winding wheel.”

2 Likes