Thai community bid for SoTM Asia 2023

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a discussion with the Thai FOSS4G community leaders and we’ve decided to make a bid to host SoTM Asia in Thailand in 2023

More information available at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_of_the_Map_Asia_2023/Call_for_venues

I’d also like to nominate myself and Prasong from FOSS4G to represent the Thai OSM community on the SoTM review committee. Please let me know if there are any objections. Since there’s no existing representation and that time is running short, I’ve not gone through any community consultative procesess. We will be updating everyone as we go through the process.

Thank you, and looking forward to seeing you at SoTM!

Best regards,
Mishari

2 Likes

Hello Mishari,

thanks for bringing this forward. While expats had been the founding members of OSM in Thailand, this might then bring in more local participation on a local level.

Certainly, there are GIS departments on the universities and FOSS4G members which are already active in the geospatial world and using OSM as data source. Bringing them closer to the community might bring some boost into development of OSM in Thailand.

I appreciate your effort and hope that you will find a suitable venue and enough team members to organize such an event.

If you need some input from our community in the remaining three weeks, feel free to reach out.

I would love to see a SoTM Asia hosted in Thailand and wish all the best for the bid.

Stephan