[RFC] Feature Proposal - Bicycle Wash

Hi,

I’m excited to announce a new tagging proposal for amenity=bicycle_wash. This proposal aims to introduce a specific tag for mapping facilities dedicated to washing bicycles (bikes).

The proposal, including its rationale and detailed tagging guidelines, is now available on the OSM wiki: Proposal:Bicycle Wash

I believe this tag fills an important gap in our current tagging system by accurately representing facilities specifically designed for bicycle cleaning, distinct from general car wash services.

Your input is crucial to refining this proposal. I encourage everyone to review the proposal and share your thoughts, suggestions, and any relevant experiences. Constructive feedback on the following aspects would be particularly valuable:

• Clarity and applicability of the proposed tag
  • Possible improvements or adjustments
  • Any concerns or potential overlaps with existing tags

Please discuss this proposal on its Wiki Talk page or directly here in the Community Forum.

Your insights will help ensure that the tag effectively meets the community’s needs and standards. Let’s work together to enhance the utility and accuracy of our map data :slight_smile:

P.S.: Feel free to contribute your photos of bicycle cleaning facilities to Wikimedia Commons: Category:Bicycle Cleaning - Wikimedia Commons

Thank you for your time and contributions!
mcliquid

5 Likes

Voting has started! :slight_smile:

Isn’t it more useful to have a tag like “bicycle_station” that can then be specified for providing tools for air inflation, cleaning, repair, battery charging, a stand, covered shelter, integrated lock, or accessories?

1 Like

I do not see the benefit of tagging amenity=bicycle_station + subtag for the washing place instead of tagging amenity=bicycle_wash straight ahead.

1 Like

@MiMoHo If you look at the pictures in the gallery, you won’t find any tools on any of the wash places. This is all about cleaning bicycles and nothing else. That’s why I think a separate tag makes sense, what do you think?

1 Like

@MiMoHo

And when these or similar bike wash units

become more popular, wouldn’t that be worth a separate tagging?

I must have formulated that incorrectly. I meant that it is already worth working with amenity=bicycle_wash for stations like the one in your example.

Like another user in the voting already pointed out: service stations that are bicycle wash points are very rare in some regions, even in bike-friendly Europe. On the other hand, there are much more tool stations for bikes and with the increasing amount of ebikes, chances are that communities support recharging once in a while. So instead of opening amenities for all the different bike station types, let’s keep things simple and call it “bike_station” and then specify the available services. What do you do when a wash station starts offering repair tools and accessories or vice versa? You’ll then need to specify the individual services but can categorize only one which is not fully appropriate. In Germany, shoe repair shops often do key services, too, how do you categorize them?
Maybe this helps @Map_HeRo to see the benefit.
Btw @mcliquid , there’s an edit button for each post for corrections.

Regarding the One feature, one OSM element rule I would create two object reflecting the respective element. A bicycle wash is not a bicycle repair station, and a bicycle repair station is not a bicycle wash. If both items exist in the same area, then two OSM objects should be created.

Same here, one OSM object for the shoe repair shop and one OSM object for the key service.

1 Like

Agreed, thus amenity=bicycle_wash is needed.

On the other hand, there are much more tool stations for bikes and with the increasing amount of ebikes, chances are that communities support recharging once in a while.

I sincerely hope no municipality will get the idea to combine charging station and wash station in one stand!
You know, water and electricity go together just like gasoline and smoking - it would be a very bad idea.

So instead of opening amenities for all the different bike station types, let’s keep things simple and call it “bike_station” and then specify the available services.

• using two tags instead of one to convey meaning is by definition more complex than using one tag for same purpose.
  • while I see your point, I’m of opinion that unfortunately it wouldn’t result in “keeping things simple”. Because amenity=bicycle_repair_station already exist in wide use, and trying to “just rename it” to amenity=bike_station with extra service:bicycle:repair=yes tag just won’t work.
    Because everything is more complicated than expected when trying to deprecate things you’d get ObKXCD #927 and more complex result instead of intended simplification (i.e. you would end up having to support both old and new ways of tagging)

What do you do when a wash station starts offering repair tools and accessories or vice versa?

That does not seem likely to happen (at least I’m not seeing it), but if it did, you could add (already existing) property tag service:bicycle:cleaning=yes to (already existing) amenity=bicycle_repair_station primary tag (just like you can e.g. add already existing property tag car_wash=yes to already existing amenity=fuel instead of mapping separate amenity=car_wash)

This proposal is about creating a node with separate amenity=bicycle_wash instead – just like you may want to tag separate amenity=car_wash, instead of adding it as a property to gas station or a car repair shop, although at first it might seem like a good idea to unify them all under amenity=car_station and then add service:repair=yes, service:wash=yes, service:fuel=yes etc under it, depending on what car services are offered.

But that is not wanted, because people are like that – car owners don’t think “Oh I need to go to car station and get some fuel” (or “go to car station and wash my car”). They think/say “I need to go to fuel station” (or “I should go to car wash”). Same thing happens with cyclists, just replace the words.

You’ll then need to specify the individual services but can categorize only one which is not fully appropriate. In Germany, shoe repair shops often do key services, too, how do you categorize them?

Now that you mention it, how do you categorize them? I’m guessing adding two separate nodes, one on top of another? Or something similar?

For bicycle wash station, even that “two nodes as same location” is not a problem, because even if there is bicycle repair station nearby it is highly unlikely that it would be exactly the same physical element, so you could just micromap amenity=bicycle_repair_station next to amenity=bicycle_wash next to amenity=charging_station+bicycle=yes – as each one would be extremely likely separate physical device at a separate physical location (at least half a meter to 10s of meters away), so you could map them exactly where they are without any overlap. (Also as noted before, even those situation are much less likely to happen then shoe repair + key cutter combination which we already have and handle).

And three nodes (each with one tag) is not really more complex than one node with four tags. And it provides more precise information (more exact location for each of the amenities, instead of more approximate location of all of them combined lumped together). And it avoids issues with adding additional tags and ambiguity what exactly they apply to (see my next post about “One feature, one OSM element” principle).

Not really, see One feature, one OSM element for details why. For example:

• if air inflation only works during the day (as is e.g. often the case with compressors here, which have their hose with manometer removed to prevent theft), you can tag that with opening_hours. However, if all those things you mentioned are the tags on the same node, than that opening_hours would also mean that you cannot use a e.g. covered shelter or integrated lock outside of those hours either.

• Or if the air inflation was unsuitable for for kick scooters due to pressure/intervals involved (also real-world situation), you cannot tag that object with kick_scooter=no, as that would mean that you cannot wash kick scooter there either.

• Or if battery charging required a fee=yes (also happens), if you added that tag, it would mean you also always need to pay to use repair tools, or air inflation or integrated lock etc.

• Or… you get the gist… It is much better to map them as separate elements, as noted at that link above.

So, hopefully you’ll be convinced and reconsider editing your vote!