Restructure wiki page key:name?

Current version put out for voting has a grammar issue under “DIsputed Names”: “the simple default rule is whatever name are used by the people on the ground at that location are used”

1 Like

Please correct it.

The vote “Restructure wiki page key:name” is open until June 24, 2024. Please share your opinion.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Brands and Names in Name Suggestion Index

You’re missing the key words “on their website” from that. That’s sometimes completely different from what appears in the real world. When this link was posted back in April I made a mental note to have a look at a local example**. In Mapillary, here is a local Tesco Express. That is (according to the website) " York Low Ousegate Express". The picture shows that the visible name is “Tesco Express”. Actually, branding has changed slightly since that picture was taken - there are now two other things on the store front that might be interpreted as names. From memory one mentions “Low Ousegate”, one sort-of includes the opening hours (!), but neither is exactly “York Low Ousegate Express”.

For completeness, in OSM, the small one has the name and brand “Tesco Express” and the big one has the name and brand “Tesco Extra”, in both case reflecting what is or was written on the outside of the buildings.

Realistically “what goes in the name field” will have to be a decision for the “surveying mapper” - in some cases it might match what is on the brand’s website, but in other cases it won’t. In some of those other cases “official_name” might be a good place for “website name” bet I’m sure that there are counterexamples of that too.

Another one (go back through that Mapillary sequence to see everything on that face of the building) is allegedly “Askham Bar Extra” but the signage is just Tesco Extra". Everyone actually just calls it “Tesco”. If they had to distinguish it from the other big Tesco locally they might say “Askham Bar Tesco”, I guess.

** I didn’t reply back then because, frankly, life is too short, but since then a DWG correspondent has asked us to contribute on one side of the argument. I’m not sure we can do that, hence this “on the fence” reply :slight_smile:

See also the discussion on the French forum.