Redirect/merge tag #portuguese into #portuguese

There are posts tagged #portuguese and others tagged #portugues. If possible, the former should be an alias to the latter, to avoid splitting the discussions unnecessarily.

And by the way, once the Portugal subcategory gets created, the #portugal tag should be retired and the post(s) tagged with it moved to the category.

Actually, I suppose there’s a use case for such tags; for example, there are posts tagged brazil even though there’s the Brasil subcategory, which can be useful to mark posts that fit under a different primary category, but are still related to the country.

Acredito ser relevante ter uma etiqueta tanto para português (a língua) como para Portugal (o país).

Talvez isso não fique tão claro na etiqueta em inglês, mas a distinção é importante.

Sim, de acordo — haver formas de identificar posts sobre a língua de forma distinta dos posts sobre o país nunca esteve em questão na minha mente :slight_smile: A minha proposta inicial era de fundir a tag e a categoria ambas sobre Portugal, o país, mas depois apercebi-me que mesmo essas duas pode-se justificar manter, como mencionei na segunda mensagem acima.

I’ve now made portuguese an alias of portugues.

Thanks, @Tordanik! Unfortunately I proposed the aliasing in a direction that I now realize goes against the pattern that’s emerged in the forum: specifically, language tags use the English name of the language — for example, german, spanish, english (doesn’t really count, but added for completeness), french, dutch, greek, taiwanese-hokkien, taiwanese-mandarin. So in this case it’s portugues that should be an alias of portuguese, and not the other way around.

p.s. - I’d also suggest the hungarian-language tag to be renamed/aliased to #hungarian, for consistency. Same with magyar, btw.

p.s. 2 - I suspect the swiss tag should be an alias of switzerland (based on the posts tagged with the former).

p.s. 3 - The country tags also use the English names, but there are two exceptions — españa (which should be an alias of spain) and danmark (which should be an alias of denmark).

Sorry for giving you additional work! :sweat_smile:

Ok, I’ve reversed the direction of the alias. :white_check_mark:

I’ve also made some of the other modifications, although I guess it would be worth having a larger conversation on the overall approach desired by the community before we systematically (re)organize these.

1 Like

Thank you! And yes, apologies for attaching those suggestions to this thread. I will start a new thread so the additional changes can be discussed by the community.