Portugal subcategory

Category name

Portugal

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

sub-category

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Same as the Portuguese sub-category of the old forum.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

To have Portuguese-specific discussions.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

It is supposed to take from the old forum sub-category.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Not many, given PT users prefer to use Telegram. However, it seems there is some demand, especially when there is some polls or important discussions (admin levels, standardization of tags…).

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

Merge the messages from the old forum here.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

OSM Etiquette Guidelines.

List the usernames of the category moderators

@AntMadeira
@matheusgomesms
@waldyrious

@AntMadeira and @waldyrious, we have to present ourselves to the community, and we also need to have a poll to the PT community to check if they accept us as mods of this sub-category (if approved). I’ll start (Portuguese below):

EN:
I’m Matheus Gomes, my username on OSM is matheusgomesms, I’m admin on the community OSM Ceará on Telegram, OSM Brazil here and I edit since 2015/16, being more active in the last 4 years.

I am proud to say that I have represented the Portuguese and Brazilian community on several occasions. I presented and gave OSM training to some public bodies, both in Portugal and Brazil, I went to the last global State of the Map, and in the end of last year I gave an interview for OpenCage.

I am also a PT-translator on some OSM-related softwares, such as OrganicMaps, EveryDoor, and iD.

PT:

Sou Matheus Gomes, meu usuário no OSM é matheusgomesms, sou admin na comunidade OSM Ceará no Telegram, OSM Brasil aqui, e edito desde 2015/16, sendo mais ativo nos últimos 4 anos.

Tenho orgulho em dizer que já representei as comunidade PT e BR em várias ocasiões. Apresentei e dei treinamento de OSM para alguns órgãos públicos, tanto em Portugal quanto no Brasil, fui para o último State of the Máp global, e no fim do ano passado dei uma entrevista para o OpenCage.

Por fim, também sou tradutor em alguns softwares relacionados ao OSM, como OrganicMaps, EveryDoor e iD.

Thanks for taking the initiative to do this, Matheus! So here are my introductions.

EN:

Hi everyone. I am Waldir Pimenta. My OSM username is waldyrious. I started editing Wikipedia back in 2005, and OSM soon after, in 2006.

I am currently based in Braga, Portugal, but am originally from Sal, Cape Verde. Those two are the areas I tend to edit the most on OSM. I used to be an “armchair mapper” for most of my early years in the project, almost exclusively using the browser. Later I started doing some surveying with Mapillary. I did try using the Vespucci app for mobile editing, but never got comfortable with the interface. Then, when StreetComplete came out (and later Every Door), with more user-friendly interfaces, I finally started doing some more survey-based mapping.

I started participating in the wiki pretty much from the day I registered my OSM account, since that was a natural fit for me as a Wikipedian. I didn’t pay much attention to the mailing lists, but when the Discourse forum was set up I finally jumped in to participate in the discussions. In recent years I have also been active in the OSM Portugal Telegram chat.

I am experienced in moderating online collaborative communities, having been, at various times, an administrator in Wikipedia, a moderator in a couple StackExchange sites, and a maintainer of various open source projects; and also having coordinated people IRL as co-founder and the first president of Wikimedia Portugal. I am typically a light-handed and laid back moderator, preferring to discuss issues openly and promoting conciliation, but I am firm in curtailing overt insults, disrespect or any kind of harassment in the bud. I will do my best to honor the community’s trust shall I be accepted as a moderator in this category.

PT:

Olá a todos. Sou o Waldir Pimenta e meu username no OSM é waldyrious. Comecei a editar a Wikipedia em 2005 e o OSM pouco depois, em 2006.

Vivo em Braga, Portugal, mas sou originalmente da ilha do Sal, Cabo Verde. Essas duas são as áreas que costumo editar mais no OSM. Eu fui primariamente um “armchair mapper” nos meus primeiros anos no projeto, usando quase exclusivamente o browser. Mais tarde comecei a fazer registos de percursos com o Mapillary. Tentei usar a app Vespucci para editar no telemóvel a partir da rua, mas nunca consegui habituar-me à interface. Mais tarde, quando o StreetComplete foi lançado (e depois o Every Door), com interfaces mais intuitivas, finalmente comecei a fazer mais mapeamento no terreno.

Comecei a editar a wiki do OSM praticamente desde o dia em que criei minha conta no OSM, já que era um ambiente natural para mim como Wikipedista. Não liguei muito às mailing lists, mas quando o fórum Discourse foi criado, comecei a participar em mais discussões. Nos últimos anos também tenho estado ativo no chat do OSM Portugal no Telegram.

Tenho alguma experiência em moderar comunidades colaborativas online, tendo sido, em vários momentos, administrador na Wikipédia, moderador em alguns sites StackExchange e maintainer de vários projetos open source; e também tendo coordenado pessoas IRL, como co-fundador e primeiro presidente da Wikimedia Portugal. O meu estilo de moderação é tipicamente discreto e descontraído, preferindo discutir questões abertamente e promover a conciliação. No entanto, sou firme em interromper insultos explícitos, desrespeito ou qualquer tipo de assédio pela raiz. Farei o possível para honrar a confiança da comunidade, caso seja aceite como moderador nesta categoria.

Thanks for the request.

Now we will wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

PT

Saudações.

O meu nome é António Madeira, e o meu pseudónimo na comunidade OpenStreetMap é AntMadeira. As minhas estatísticas gerais podem ser encontradas aqui.

Sou tradutor profissional e trabalho com fóruns e comunidades on-line de código aberto desde 1997, tendo, por isso, grande experiência na dinâmica de grupos on-line e projetos de código aberto.

Comecei a mapear com o OSM em 2014 e tornei-me um dos administradores-fundadores do canal Telegram para a comunidade OSM Portugal, com participação regular no canal e também nas listas de discussão PT_pt e Tagging.
Sou editor frequente das páginas wiki do OSM, com grande foco nas páginas em português e na padronização do OSM em Portugal, com várias propostas aprovadas. O meu perfil pode ser encontrado aqui.
Também sou o tradutor do iD e do website do OSM, tanto no Transifex como no TranslateWiki.

Este cargo no novo fórum do OSM seria o meu contributo para criar um espaço de discussão e ajuda para os mapeadores do OSM que falam português. Embora a maior parte da comunidade use o canal do Telegram, a criação deste espaço pode e deve servir como mais um canal para melhorar o OpenStreetMap e a sua comunidade.

EN

Greetings.

My name is António Madeira, and my alias in OpenStreetMap community is AntMadeira. My general statistics can be found here.

I’m a professional translator and I work with open-source online forums and communities since 1997, so I’m well versed in the dynamics of online groups and open source projects.

I started mapping with OSM in 2014 and I became one of the admin founders of Telegram channel for the Portuguese OSM community, with regular participation in the channel and also in PT_pt and Tagging mailing lists.
I’m also a heavy OSM wiki editor, with great focus on Portuguese language pages and the OSM standardization in Portugal, with several approved proposals. My profile can be found here.
I’m also the translator of iD and the OSM website, both at transifex and translatewiki.

This role in the new OSM forum would be my contribution to create a space of discussion and help for Portuguese speaking OSM mappers. Although the bulk of the community uses the Telegram channel, making this space available can and should be another channel to improve OpenStreetMap and its community.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone,

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria now the community has 5 days (that must include weekend days) to discuss about this proposal.

After that a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Nada a opor aos 3 moderadores, antes pelo contrário :smiley:. Terão a minha colaboração quando e se necessário. De notar que nunca concordei com o grupo Telegram pelo facto desta plataforma não estar directamente relacionada com o OSM. Antes preferia o"defunto" PT-Talk" já que cumpria o critério de ligação directa á OSMF.
Cumprimentos e boas mapeações

3 Likes

Também não tenho nada a opor, apoio os 3 candidatos. Obrigado pela iniciativa e pelo vosso trabalho no OSM (e fora)!

2 Likes

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @AntMadeira @matheusgomesms and @waldyrious to be category moderators for the “Portugal” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

Que elegante! Proposta com moderadores com experiência sólida mapeador na OpenStreetMap, moderação de conteúdo, e até mesmo na Wiki em português. É assim que deveria ser!!!

Eu só estou meio confuso se é sobre Portugal ou sobre comunidade lusitana, mas de qualquer forma, começou com (ordem alfabética) um brasileiro, um cabo-verdiano e um português. Então é quase os dois :smile:

Só para avisar: vamos esperar terminar a votação aqui, mas a experiência que alguns de vocês têm até com questão de rever padrão de limites administrativos é pertinente. Eu já reparei que há uma década atrás (que creio que todos os países tiveram uma revisão/atualização dos limites internos, sei que pelo menos Timor-Leste está com divisões internas desatualizadas, e tem toda importância de sincronizar com censo demográfico. Esse é mais complicado porque um país extremamente novo precisa de mais apoio em logística. Tem outros também que tem uma atividade baixa nas páginas de países na Wiki, então creio que é necessário certa sensibilidade. E além disso, tem a questão de revisar se a classificação das estradas não precisa de melhorias.

Mas sim, eu gosto da ideia de ver também questões de língua, porque alguns termos podem ser diferentes por cultura. Então de certa forma vai ser necessário revisar terminologia que causa confusão. Isso fica mais claro em prédios e elementos relacionados ao governo e território.

The #communities:pt category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

3 Likes

The idea was to rename the Portugal category from the old forum and reopen it rather than create a new category…

Given we have a new category now @Firefishy will need to merge in the posts from the old one.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted the pull request osm-community-index#655 adding the Discourse category to the community index.

2 Likes