First, thank you for the detailed response.
‘Resonably certain’ to me means a structure visible on VBMP imagery, or in an area of new housing development where a structure may not be seen on imagery. For structures, sometimes this is what appears to be old abandoned farmhouses by themselves. I do not include addresses that are sometimes present for a lot of empty land, usually an open field of farmland. In areas of new housing developments, where it is obvious from aerial imagery that construction is active, I include addresses even if the structure is not present on imagery. If this is questionable, I’m open to discussion.
I am breaking it by zip code. This sometimes is a large set of data, what I have done previously is split by CSV file into files of 500 addresses each.
I place the address nodes on what seems to be the main structure or object (tower site, water tower, residence). If a structure or POI exisits, the address is conflated with the pre-existing object.
When I add the csv as a layer to JOSM, it asks sometimes for me to define the projection used.
Yes, I can provide a dropbox link for the csv files. (still working on the road names)
The data from the state does provide all the addr:* tags. It seems the shapefile downloadable from VGIN is missing that data for some unknown reason. If you download the text file, all the data is there. A side note, I submitted the VGIN database to ESRI, who kindly added it as a feature layer, but unfortunately, it is missing the addr:postcode and addr:city tags presumably for this problem. Last year, the downloadable shapefile included all these tags.
I imported the text file to QGIS. I’m not the best with the software, and I’m sure there is a more effecient way, but I added a second layer with the county boundary. Then, I extracted address points within that boundary (as opposed to splitting the entire state by county which takes forever). I then export the entire county as a CSV file.
I parse all the text using Excel. Expanding N–> North, using the proper function for capitalizing road names (Manually, I edited the McM and MacM* type names to add the mid word capital letter. I conectate the column of RD, ST type abbreviations with ‘!’. Then I use the find and replace function to find the next !, and replace for example ST! → Street, TPKE! → Turnpike, etc. Finally, I conectate the columns containing street prefix (North, East, etc), Street name, and street type.
Then, using filters, I filter by postcode, copy and paste those results to a blank excel file which is saved as CSV for import to JOSM.