Proposal to add the 🍿 emoji as a reaction

( UK GDPR )

Moderators should also ensure that nothing is used for bullying.

“So if you say that the content of your online service is suitable for children within a certain age range then you need to have systems to ensure that it is. If you say that you do not tolerate bullying, then you need to have adequate mechanisms to swiftly and effectively deal with bullying incidents.” ( link )

We all have a responsibility to try and ensure “nice” communications on this forum. Sometimes, however, ideas are suggested that haven’t really been thought through, and it helps to be able to “express a degree of incredulity” as this earlier linked page puts it. Sometimes that’s a better approach than trying to use text to do the same thing - the text might come across as saying “you’re an idiot” when that isn’t really what its meant.

However:

The idea that adding a lighthearted reaction emoji to a limited list could have “legal implications” is just silly. As described in detail above many (most?) systems that support emojis support any emoji. What are we going to do next, ban keyboards?

I’m not a lawyer, but do have some familiarity with what organisations have had to do to comply by those rules. There may well be work to do within OSM, but I doubt if it would affect or be affected by the provision of an extra emoji in the Discourse instance here.

5 Likes

Forget the popcorn, I hereby request the :shark: emoji, for when a discussion jumps the shark. Note that I have never seen the comedy routine that cemented this phrase in American pop culture, for it was well before my time, yet I am not in the least offended by my youth and innocence.

2 Likes

I gave the OP :-1:, not because I think the proposal is going to damage OSM, but because I can’t believe we are spending any time at all discussing this - the whole discussion, for and against, seems silly. OSM flourished without :popcorn:, and whether or not it continues to flourish probably has nothing to do with whether we use :popcorn:

I don’t buy any of the cultural difference arguments. It is not like some hate group uses :popcorn: to represent their organization. On the other hand, to me :popcorn: means “light hearted entertainment”, something someone might respond with to a post where someone announces they made a fun little game using OSM, which it seems is not exactly what it means.

We have bigger :fish: to fry (sorry, probably a cultural specific idiom). At this point, just do it - it is easy to undo.

4 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:!

:clap: well done! It seems we’ve completely blurred the line between serious responses and world-class trolling at this point. I can’t even tell the difference anymore.

So, we are now equating the :popcorn: emoji reaction to violent crime? Perhaps you should check the Geneva Conventions to see if :popcorn: is allowed to be used against lawful enemy combatants? I am now wondering if we should send the Red Cross into this thread

Yes, that’s literally the job of moderators. Hopefully you do that in the Hungarian forum. I’m sure we will all soon hear about how adding a :popcorn: emoji makes moderators unable to police bullying.

Oh, it’s objectively silly, and since I live my life based on the rules of improv comedy, I feel compelled to do my part in ensuring that the hilarity continues to ensue. I started this thread after lamenting that I couldn’t :popcorn:-react to another thread. I expected maybe a few polite chuckles at most and similarly can’t believe we’re still discussing it.

1 Like

If we are looking for the best emoji to express ‘a degree of incredulity’, the :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ‘raised eyebrows’ emoji would be more suitable, wouldn’t it?
The popcorn emoji tends to imply anticipation or enjoyment of drama, rather than expressing skepticism or incredulity.
( What does it mean to "raise eyebrows"? | Britannica Dictionary )

We should find our own OSM-themed emoji that more culturally neutrally expresses disagreement and ‘expresses a degree of incredulity’, like something that suggests ‘instead of arguing, let’s go mapping’

Thank you for your response.
In that case, I accept that there are no legal consequences to consider.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Cohesiveness_and_group_membership

"According to Rutkowski et al., the social responsibility norm affects helping behavior. The norm of social responsibility states that “people should help others who are in need of help and who are dependent on them for it.” As suggested by the research, the more cohesive a group, the more likely the group will act in accordance to the social responsibility norm. "

And under the ‘social responsibility norm’, fostering a more cohesive group is one of the prerequisites for diversity and inclusion.

Yes! Let’s get this positive sentiment added!

Lol, no. Just no. Please stop spamming us with long boring links. I would rather you just say what you’re trying to tell us, and summarize it in a few sentences, versus trying to send us on some academic exercise.

3 Likes

@ImreSamu :roll_eyes:

For threads like this I believe we should add a :wat: emoji.

2 Likes

You must be new round here.

Anyway, anyone round here fancy a little light licence change?

1 Like

:popcorn:!

1 Like

This is the reaction I’ve wanted most often when conversations in this forum start to go off the rails. I’m not sure if it would actually help though.

5 Likes

Maybe the wrong thread, but I do have to ask 

Out of our available emoji reactions, which one suggests “Sorry, but I have no idea what you’re talking about?”?

I always thought :-1: is just “bad post” - You’re wrong & I don’t agree with you;
:open_mouth: = shocked or surprised;
:angry: means that you’ve said something really bad!;
while :frowning_face: is much like :-1: in that I don’t really like what you’ve said.

Is that a fair translation?

1 Like

As someone who isn’t new around here, I am surprised that people are still taking this modest proposal seriously.

1 Like

It is because there was nobody around to explain us blockheads how this proposal is to be understood 
 :smile:

I don’t think we have one, and other than a question mark emoji I can’t think of a suitable emoji right away.

That’s also my interpretation.

3 Likes

No suffix emoji, but in such cases being on W10, I use the Windows+dot combo to get a broad selection to plant in the text, type the emotion in the question box and a selection is offered,

popcorn inclusive, anything with pop.

i.e. I don’t care if there or not and real quick :O)))

1 Like

@ZeLonewolf Z, was in our local Discount / $2 store yesterday, & spotted something I thought you’d appreciate! :rofl:

Phone included for scale - they’re big!

1 Like