Proposal to add the šŸæ emoji as a reaction

I donā€™t know if your answer was meant to be funny. It doesnā€™t seem very respectful to me. If someone rejects the suggestion, it doesnā€™t give you the right to write that the person ā€œhatesā€ the suggestion.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny. Laugh.

Letā€™s all remind ourselves of the admittedly absurd premise behind this whole debate.

3 Likes

:popcorn:
Seriously though, I disagree with the idea that Meta dictates out way of communication patters. No one wants this forum to be like Facebook.

Please tell me you are meme-ing. :dotted_line_face:

:skull:

Indeed, the OSM community never gets heated with respect to absurd, minimal proposals :slight_smile:

Anything beyond these reactions is seen as unusually complex and hard to comprehend.

like ā€žI politely disagreeā€œ is not comprehensive, you either have to be angry or sad in order to disagree?

If we need a reference point, I suggest using Facebook as a baseline.

all this talk about understanding different cultures, and then this is your conclusion? :grimacing:

To summarize, the majority believes that the :popcorn: emoji reaction expresses

• mutual respect, :white_check_mark:
  • tolerance, :white_check_mark:
  • encouragement, :white_check_mark:
  • and aiding each other in adhering to these principles :white_check_mark:

as stated in our diversity statement:

ā€œOur community is based on mutual respect, tolerance, and encouragement, and we are working to help each other live up to these principlesā€ Diversity Statement - OpenStreetMap Foundation

1 Like

Great! This is a fine conclusion and one I wholeheartedly agree with. Iā€™m glad we were able to come to an understanding.

Just one minor side noteā€¦

As a Hungarian, youā€™re probably not aware of this, but the so-called ā€œloveā€ reaction emoji is incredibly offensive in the United States. Heart disease is the number one killer of Americans. In fact, if youā€™re talking to an American online, either someone they love or they themselves have probably died of heart disease. Mostly this is due to overconsumption of salty snacks and too many visits to brand:wikidata=Q38076. So I thank you for raising awareness of cultural differences, and how important understanding these differences are to understanding each other.

1 Like

This thread is approaching ā€œLandcover proposal wiki discussion pageā€ level of hilariousness and saltyness.

1 Like

@ZeLonewolf
I suggest to rename this topic to

ā€œLetā€™s talk about respect, tolerance, encouragement and different cultural background with regard to the use of emojis in OSMā€

and when the discussion came to an end in a couple of years start another :popcorn: attempt ā€¦ :innocent:

Why does every topic have to be turned into endless discussions that are widely out of the scope of the original topic? Canā€™t we just do what Minh suggested instead?

A good addition to this test would be usage statistics of the emojis, but Iā€™m not sure if such feature exists within Discourse (more possibly for an addon to do that).
Also, I doubt there will be many people who will actually open topic to suggest to remove an emoji because they donā€™t like it/find it confusing, instead of just refrain from using it.

I would not put it past this community.

Yes, letā€™s just try it out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused that this thread about cultural differences is more than 50 posts long, but the obvious cultural issue with this hasnā€™t mentioned yet. Although it has led to serious misunderstandings in the past.

Quoting Wikipedia: ā€œTraditions differ as to whether popcorn is consumed as a hearty snack food with salt (predominating in the United States) or as a sweet snack food with caramelized sugar (predominating in Germany).ā€

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m strongly opposed to this proposal: The question, whether the :popcorn: emoji means salty or sweet popcorn has the potential to deeply divide the community and to become the next landuse/landcover or phone/contact:phone moment in our project.

Contrary to what the wiki assumes, this disagreement does not divide neatly along administrative boundaries. If youā€™re ever in my neck of the woods, let me know and Iā€™ll take you out to a baseball game and buy you a box of Cracker Jack.

1 Like

Iā€™m from Germany; both options are known here and usually specified. E.g. at the cinema.

Considering this we would have to introduce a popcorn layer in OSM marking the inhabited areas with different colours for ā€œsalty snackā€, ā€œsweet temptationā€ and ā€œpopcorn free zoneā€. No problem.

1 Like

:+1: Good idea. In the mean time, we could reply to posts with a :popcorn: emoji. Then you can see if people want to use it, or not?

I like this attitude.

I would have liked this ā€œletā€™s just try it outā€ attitude when it came to removing the minimum character length for posts here in Discourse. I had suggested it, but it was rejected.
It would have been easy to try it out, and adjust it if it didnā€™t work.

5 Likes

In the Julia Language forum at https://discourse.julialang.org , there is only one reaction, which is a :heart: emoji.

On the other hand, in the Discourse Community forum at https://meta.discourse.org,
there are 14 reactions, most of which are positive or neutral.
This is more in line with the principles of Nonviolent Communication.

Before trying this, it might be worth considering what other communities use and why.

Why does the company developing Discourse use those specific 14 emojis? What were the reasons behind their decision?

Are there any potential unintended consequences?"

We use :popcorn: in the OSM World Discord server. Weā€™ve had exactly zero issues or incidents with the use of this emoji.

Here is a typical and recent discussion involving :popcorn: in the Discord server. Context is that I have made a few contentious mass edits in the past and people were probably expecting another spicy situation (which didnā€™t happen this time).

3 Likes