Playground planet for testing and discussing mapping of complex objects?

Dear community,

wondering if there is something like a second planet next to the usual OSM planet, which could be used for testing, demonstrating, discussing mapping of complex objects and structures.

Sometimes I would like to say ‘Look there, there I sketched a railway station with new feature/tag x. Is that tagging okay?’. Or: ‘Look there, there you find all 123 variants for mapping bus stops. Choose the one you like most.’

A second usecase would be mapping just for fun, a future city for instance. A human made planet with lots of cool structures, sounds like kind of art (and could get less tech-savvy user groups interested in mapping).

Best regards,

Jens

1 Like

Hello there!

It’s not really my topic, I’m too much of a realist for that and have created quite a few examples of in-depth tagging and special things I’ve come across in my immediate neighbourhood through intensive trial and error and self-checking.

But I have seen a bit of reading material for fictitious mapping over the time:

The first address is certainly: https://www.opengeofiction.net

Further tips and hints could be found here:
Never finished, but a clue: User:Ika-chan!/Fantasy maps with OSM software - OpenStreetMap Wiki
For advanced users a possibility: Sandbox for editing - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Various other possible additions to the topic: Develop - OpenStreetMap Wiki

How not to do it in any case was discussed here:
F wie Fake-Land... I think it’s done funny so far though and admire the energy the mapper has put into it, unfortunately in the wrong place.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the links! Especially OGF and the dev server are what I was looking for. Extensive Google searches did not bring them up…