Ottwiz's forest mapping updates

For the exact same reason as in Woodland and Forest Mapping updates (Slack → OSM Community Forum) I create here my own topic, where I sometimes post updates about the progress of mapping woodland.

I won’t repost things though here, but I’ll upload a few screenshots from the past 3 years to show how things got progressed. However, I’ll upload them as .jpg files, so they won’t drain your cellular if you’re watching it from such net access.

First project: Marshall County, WV between July 2020-January 2021.
Coshocton County, Ohio from January 2021 until September 2021
[User:Ottwiz/ottwiz-mapping-50-states - OpenStreetMap Wiki](https://Mapping 50 states) a side project for summer 2021.
Raleigh County, WV and its surroundings (between December 2020-December 2021)

Current project:
Ottwiz mapping West Virginia Ongoing since October 2021 including the Raleigh County project. Well, it seems it takes 1 county / month to do, I can’t do faster due to my assignments and personal life.

3 Likes

FYI, I forgot to put the copyright on the pictures as “© OpenStreetMap contributors”, but if you hover over the pictures, you’ll see it.

Eastern USA on July 25, 2021

© OpenStreetMap contributors
From December 2021 to March 2022 (© OpenStreetMap contributors)

March 2023

November 22, 2023

West Virginia Today (February 19, 2024)

Lower 48 Today (February 19,2024)

Hawaii Today (February 19,2024)
Btw Hawaii will be updated now & then by me and maplemoths.

I didn’t map Alaska much (only around Skagway), so probably the next screenshot won’t be as excidting as the previous ones.

But these are for future references how things are going on.

8 Likes

One checkerboard square, forest plot, neighborhood, downtown, parking lot, woodland, county park, county, “treed farmland,” timberland area, state forest, school campus…at a time, ladies and gentlemen. This is how we build our map.

I nod my head.

3 Likes

Behind the scenes, I have a Simple Tasking Manager project set up so I can track my progress and I can set up that where should I map, but since I have a lot of work to do and uni assignments, sometimes it takes 2 or 3(or more) days to complete a square.

1 Like