Mofa/moped=no op barrier=bollard

Die 47% is de percentages voor footway/pedestrian/path/cycleway bij elkaar opgeteld. De stand-alone en no_highway paaltjes zou je ook niet hoeven mee te nemen, daar komt toch geen enkele router langs en dan zitten we wereldwijd al op 81% voor NL op 83%.

Ik zou niet weten waarom de overige paaltjes nu ineens bekeken zouden moeten worden, ik moet nog het eerste paaltje vinden dat door iemand gemapt is zonder extra tags terwijl er door die straat gewoon een auto kan.

Zo zie ik het dus niet, zie bijv. “foot” and “bicycle”, what about others, mofa/moped waren/zijn gewoon “vergeten”.

Toen de pagina werd gestart waren mofa/moped nog niet zo populair. Waar ik eerder voorstelde ook naar motorcycle/horse te kijken was ik ook ski/inline_skates/elektric_bicycle/kick_scooter/speed_pedelec “vergeten”

footway/pedestrian/path/cycleway bij elkaar opgeteld

Exclusief pedestrian zou ik zeggen, die verschilt per land voor ‘grotere voertuigen’ best veel als ik de wiki zie (zie: Fr, Ro, Ru, Se). Maar detail.

Zo zie ik het dus niet

Ok, misschien moeten we eerst even bekijken wat we ervan willen maken, voordat iemand (die de definitie wil wijzigen) het wereldwijd aankaart. (Want ik had in mijn post het verdwijnen van de geïmpliceerde access-restricties in het geheel in gedachten, dus waarbij ook access=no niet meer standaard was)

ski/inline_skates/elektric_bicycle/kick_scooter/speed_pedelec “vergeten”

En nog een miljoen andere waarschijnlijk, sneeuwscooters, scootmobiels, … bijvoorbeeld, of zijn die te breed voor de nieuwe standaarddefinitie? Lijkt me niet veel breder dan een paard of motor. Maar een zijspan is waarschijnlijk weer teveel. Waar leg je de grens, internationaal, om het de default te maken, het “internationale standaardpaaltje”? Auto’s komen ook best door paaltjes als ze maar ver genoeg uit elkaar staan. (Tanks komen er ook wel voorbij, maar da’s een ander verhaal).
nb. elektric_bicycle is al behandeld door bicycle=yes te impliceren.

Ik denk niet dat er een goede standaarddefinitie mogelijk is op basis van default access, zeker niet enkel op basis van wat we in NL de norm vinden. Wellicht verklaart dit ook waarom de vage definitie “and similar” het heeft overleefd, want hoe similar is een motor met een fiets? (De meeste mensen zullen niet in de geschiedenis gezocht hebben naar of de auteur elektrische fietsen of motors bedoelde). En op basis van taginfo is motorcar (576x) maar 6x minder gebruikelijk dan motorcycle toegang (3679x) (bepaald a.d.h.v. motorc(ar/ycle)=yes gesommeerd met motor_vehicle=yes + motorc(ar/ycle) afwezig). Kleine getallen, kleine verschillen, en nihil in verhouding tot zelfs de onnodige tag bicycle=yes (152209x).

Dan zou ik logischer vinden dat access=no als default verdwijnt (maar met goede overgangsstrategie voor bestaande bollards), zodat je (waar dat noodzakelijk is) zelf bijvoorbeeld motorcar=no of maxwidth=X kunt toevoegen. Ik heb er geen twijfel over dat in veel (maar zeker niet alle) gevallen de weg inderdaad impliceert wat er wel en niet op mag komen, en er dus maar af en toe iets toegevoegd moet worden.

1 Like

Bollard access should be based on the actual space between the bollards. This is space is usually large enough to allow a pedestrian or someone on a bicycle. It may not be be big enough to allow a moped or motorcycle through.

All of this is based on why the bollards were installed in the first place. Most often it meant to exclude most or all motorized vehicles. That decision determines whether moped or other light vehicles are allowed to pass. I think it is reasonable to add vehicle specific access based on local or intimate knowledge of what particular set of bollards were designed to exclude.

I think it is reasonable to add vehicle specific access based on local or intimate knowledge of what particular set of bollards were designed to exclude.

Hello Ian,

Welcome! Just to clarify, in this topic we’re discussing whether the defaults of barrier=bollard (access=no, foot=bicycle=yes and, if Emvee’s wiki edit is not reverted, mofa=moped=yes) should be further modified.

(And if so, how it should be & how to convert existing bollards)

Extra (access) tags based on local knowledge is not under debate.

(The title of the topic may need to be adjusted if this becomes the international discussion as the initial posts were different)

Yes, the default access for bollards should be foot=yes and bicycle=yes. Any less than that and you have a wall. I would only add more based on what actually allowed to pass through the particular set of bollards.

I don’t agree.
Default should be (access=yes and) motorcar=no as this is for 90% the intended use. All others should be added, based on the situation.

If motorcar=no becomes the default, please also hgv=no, psv=no, goods=no* and agricultural=no, since they’re nearly always the same size or wider as regular cars (but in the common definition not covered under motorcar, although there is some controversy on the wiki listed) and unlike i.e. ski’s, typically accepted on the same roads as motorcars

'* I assume the small picnic vans are a rarity

Sorry I mean like a C6 (or C12)

motor_vehicle=no
(motorcycle=yes)
moped=yes
mofa=yes

I have problems using access=no in general because it doesn’t reflect the situation. With a bollard, everybody can pass, except vehicles with 4 or more wheels (or above a certain size).

1 Like

Gebruik sinds recent maxwidth:physical=N op bollards, planters, blocks om aan te geven wat wel langs kan en wat niet. Deze toevoeging heeft diverse routing problemen doen oplossen.

3 Likes

Most bollards are designed for foot and bike to pass through. If a personal motor vehicle can’t pass why would something larger be able to. Routers are smart enough to deduce that fact.

In general there is no need to change the wiki. Just simple adding an additional vehicle acess to the particular set of bollards allow those through.

Use the maxwidth:physical to record the actual distance between two bollards. Routers should be able that vle to determine whether a particular vehicle can pass.

The english wiki was changed after this discussion, but the change is not very consistent.

see Widersprüchliche Wiki-Angaben in verschiedenen Sprachen bei barrier=bollard

what about horse=yes, motorcycle=yes?
or when access=no was also removed with carriage=no

there are two options to define the defaults.

a) ban all and explicit allow

access= no
foot = yes
bicycle = yes
horse = yes ?
moped = yes ?
mofa = yes ?
motorcycle = ?

or b) allow all and ban explicite

access=yes
motorcar=no
carriage=no

but the change is not very consistent.

Its easy, there is no good default solution, except mapping maxwidth:physical and similar for every bollard. There is no standard bollard nor standard bollard-separation. Some can be passed by foot only, some by bicycles, some even by wider vehicles like motorcycles/horses/wheelchairs/…, and some can even be passed by motorcars.

So neither option a) (which is just a slightly wider-vehicle-allowing expansion than the current) or option b) (which narrows it down to … also sort-of a maxwidth based on average vehicles, but now via exclusion rather than inclusion) nor the current is perfect and it will never be.

Average mopeds/mofas are almost the same width as most “average” bicycles, so the impact was likely minimal, but OSM chose to map the world using the current defaults. (Meaning every currently existing bollard implies motorcycle=no, motorvehicle=no, …) And yes, it’s flawed: this car can probably pass more, while some cargo bikes cannot pass through “default” bollards implying bicycle=yes.

Obviously, an international discussion/vote could be started to redefine the bollard defaults to something wider.

I think that is covered by the text on barrier=bollard:

… and similar like mofa=yes and moped=yes are implied. If something usually not blocked by bollards (cyclist, horse, etc) would be blocked then tag this explicitly.

Probably good to make that explicit by adding that to the right column although there more like ski, inline_skates, kick_scooter and speed_pedelec.

motorcar=no does not cover things like hgv, instead it should be motor_vehicle=no and then also exclude the single-tracked vehicles. Not my preference.

But agreed with @Famlam, even better is using maxwidth:physical.

We need a good interpretation for the majortity of bollards that exists in the DB without aditional tags.

The meaning of motorcar = no is contoversal. Of course, all double-track vehicles should be blocked.

In my opinion, we should change the definition of widly used tags very carefully and this needs an international discussion.

We may add some general exceptions like mofa and horse or we may define national defaults as we do it with highway access.

For DB, start a topic in the Deutschland community I would say. The topic “Widersprüchliche Wiki-Angaben…” is in the international part of the forum.

In my opinion this is no “change”, it is a refinement and I think a common approach instead of national defaults would make sense.

1 Like

Ik heb het plan om voor alle Wiki’s een template te gebruiken met de “default access” / “implies” al ingevuld zodat de Wiki’s voor alle talen hetzelfde hebben.

Hiervoor het ik een poll gemaakt: