Massive mapillary takeout for panoramax

• Panoramax is better (by that I mean: it’s designed in a very modular way. Which Kartaview most likely isnt). For example: let’s say you don’t like the blurring system that Panoramax uses by default. They’ve made it very easy for you to just pick another system instead. Also: when they designed Panoramax, they wanted to use as many different existing standards as possible. So the way to request images from a given area is actually based on an existing standard (usually meant for Aerial imagery). So they didn’t invent the wheel again.
  • They are starting work on an Android app soon :tm:

For anyone who hasn’t seen Christian’s talk at State of the Map EU 2023, highly recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh87F5Zie6k

4 Likes

indeed if anyone knows how to do that, (i do not develop android stuff) the source of the kartaview app is here:

Maybe we should start an other topic on this.

Right now i contribute to panoramax using a gopro 360, and my android phone using Open Camera with “rafale” mode + “delay of 1 second” + gps data saved in picture. but it is not ideal.

back in here, @waldyrious i do not find your user on mapillary, can you give an URL ?

1 Like

Why is it not ideal?

Most of the people who capture for OSMBE don’t use any companion apps at all. I never really saw the point either tbh. Just use the built in camera’s timelapse mode (with the built in gps)
(and optionally record a gpx track on your phone if you really want to track where you’ve been)

Obv if it’s a camera without gps, then sure, I can understand.

1 Like

that is not ideal because i use it as a phone inside a car, and every time you stop somewhere you will have many captures of the same place. Long stops happens a lot in cities, which make the capture mostly noise. There are scripts to get rid of this, but having it done by an app is less workload on the people end, and more on the machines, as it is expected to be.

And less technichal and hacky solutions are better to reach more people, and not only having developers contributing in commons stuff, which is better for inclusion

1 Like

I feel like I should mention: the mapillary desktop uploader automatically discards images takes after each other on the same location.
Panoramax could do that as well when it’s implemented (if it’s not already).

So there isn’t much point to trying to make hacks to do this ‘manually automatically’ when it already happens automatically. (again, don’t know about Panoramax uploader atm)

2 Likes

From what i saw from the Panoramax cli uploader tool, there is this feature already implemented to sort out duplicates.

3 Likes

From a consumption side I am wondering about duplicated images across services, once a lot of data is exported and imported.
E.g. I am imagining looking at an editor like josm or id, displaying images from kartaview, mapillary and panoramax to get a better coverage. But then seeing the same image 2 or 3 times.

So in panoramax is there any data field existing or planned that would identify images exported from another service (e.g. “mapillary id”). So that a viewer / editor could offer a toggle option to hide those?

1 Like

I have similar feelings about that. I already asked the team about this and that wasn’t really something they were looking into.
We’re going to add an exif tag to each exported image that mentions the image key from mapillary. So there’s atleast a possibility of editors/viewers implementing some kind of deduplicating system

1 Like

I’m also interested to have my data copied over! My Mapillary username is the same as here (=heilbron).

1 Like

thanks @heilbron you have been added.

For everyone following this topic, we have a public dashboard sheet on cryptpad here:

Please copy my sequences too, my Mapillary username is vladac
(It is only about 11k images.)

Can’t find my name in the document, nor my photos on Panoramax!

tykayn missed it, I’ve added it.

Regarding Panoramax: currently there is only an OpenStreetMap France instance of Panoramax and they would prefer only having images of France on their instance. The idea is to have Panoramax instances for each region/country/whatever.
So I’ll download the images and store them on my backup server.
Maybe the OSM Belgium server could be a BeNeLux server. Who knows. We’ll see

1 Like

Are there plans to add these servers to Id and JOSM once setup? Otherwise that would make all of the work inaccessible to a lot of mappers.

ID should be coming this year (Google Open Summer of Code project for it). (Potentially creating a Common library so any app with Javascript can use it, such as Mapcomplete)

JOSM i’m still looking for someone to help get funding from nlnet for. Haven’t found a dev yet that is up for it.

Any plans for a German panoramax server?

I tried the web uploader and at least this one seems not to sort out duplicates = ones with close gps location (maybe I need to tweak open camera to disregard small position changes - if this is possible)
grafik

I don’t know of any other countries trying to setup Panoramax servers at this time.

It’s best to ask any Panoramax questions in the Matrix/telegram channels:

@cquest might be time to request a category on this forum for all panoramax things. (because currently it’s only on the .fr forums)

Unfortunately I cannot follow as these conversations are french only.

On this community forum only few things are managed using categories, instead topics can be opened in any category and tagged. See e.g.

So a panoramax tag could be created by the @moderators

Yes, a tag should be able to create by anyone who posted already a little bit. No new category neccessary.

As there was already a question about a non-french channel i created a space for panoramax under https://matrix.to/#/#panoramax:matrix.org and created a general talk-channel there as well as a channel for a potential german. The chat is meant for quick questions, there is still plenty of stuff that should happen in the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to have my mapillary images sent to panoramax.
My mapillary username is jasskurn (same as here).

Thank you.