Malaysia category

Category name

Malaysia

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

For users: Malaysia / OpenStreetMap Forum and Malaysian mapping group

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

This is for the country’s users

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Only exist on forum.openstreetmap

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Around 3 posts per month

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

No

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

AkuAnakTimur, kucai and Bernhard Hiller

Hello @angys and thanks for the request.

Is it possible you edit the message answering the rest of the sections so it can be processed?

Thanks!

Thanks for the edit.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could also add on the initial message a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I would like to share here that a criteria for selecting new moderators has been recently approved:

There are just three changes that affect the current request:

• Please review that all proposed mods fulfill the basic requirements to be a moderator.
  • At least 5 days of community discussion need to take place once all the proposed mods have commented accepting here.
  • A poll voting will be created after this discussion to allow the community to validate the final list.

Please, let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

Hi. I’ll be happy to lend a hand again, moderating the soon-to-be Malaysia category sub-forum (over this Discourse platform). For the record, I have volunteered myself to moderate the soon-defunct (FluxBB-based) forum and had appointed user:kucai.

@angys is it possible to reach out to the rest of suggested moderators to comment here accepting the nomination? It would be also good to edit the first message with a brief description of them.

Thanks!

I would like to nominate user:angys to help moderate this forum.

Hi @angys

We would need the final list of proposed moderators, as well as having them commenting here they accept the nomination. Can you please ping them so this request can continue?

And while we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding their usernames in these forums and a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

I am ok with it. Let me put this sentence to complete the 20 character requirement.

I am ok with it, sorry for late reply because I am focusing on another project.

Hi! Any updates for this? Is there any more actions or steps by the Malaysian community to take? The old FluxBB forum has been already migrated over here, but apparently it’s rather an archive by the looks of it.

It seems this topic was waiting for the original post to be updated with a description of the proposed mods so people can have context about them before voting.

Is this something you can do so we run the poll as soon as possible?

Thanks!

Any updates on this?, it would be nice to have a Malaysian community category.

Any updates on this? And I would like to volunteer myself as a moderator of the Malaysia community.

@angys can you check on the outstanding comments and people who volunteered to be a moderator? Thanks!

1 Like

There are 3+1 volunteers already since the first post from way back when, bern excluded.

1 Like

As part of the process and to help the community take an informed vote, can we have a brief description on why each candidate is proposed? With that we can open the survey to validate the list.

Thanks!

I have spoken to @AkuAnakTimur , @angys and @Zh9567 and they replied that they are still interested to be moderators.

Here is a brief description of them:

AkuAnakTimur
A very experienced Malaysian mapper since 2013, knowledgable on OSM good practices and very tactful when discussing issues with others.

angys
A very active mapper since 2015 who is very conscientious with his work and very reliable as a team member.

Zh9567
Malaysia’s #1 mapper in terms of activity. Very passionate about OSM, recently completed the OSM Guru program, and looking forward to empowering others to use OSM.

Let’s proceed to the next step.

1 Like

@forums-governance
can you start the next step, please?

3 Likes

Thanks to @Mammi71 for the reminder! Unfortunately, we missed @mataharimau’s message in December because this category request was originally handled by @nukeador who left the @forums-governance team at the end of the year.

Thanks to @AkuAnakTimur, @angys, @Zh9567 and @kucai for volunteering as moderators! There has been plenty of time for community discussion, so unless there are any immediate objections I’ll set up a simple poll that will run for 5 days. This will formally demonstrate community support for this new category and moderator team. After the poll succeeds, we’ll set up the category (with the imported content from the old forum).

2 Likes