ASEAN/South East Asia subcategory

Category name

ASEAN/South East Asia

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

For all users discussing pan-ASEAN (South East Asia) topics or topics about specific countries in ASEAN. Members of ASEAN are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. Observers of ASEAN are East Timor and Papua New Guinea.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

ASEAN countries on OSM share a lot of commonalities in terms of culture and urban geography, so it would be helpful to have a centralized place for members to share their experience. There are also established links between ASEAN countries on OSM via HOT OSM initiatives (active on facebook) and Grab organized editing activities. Also, most countries in ASEAN does not have enough member on OSM to create a new subcategory, so this also serve as a place for occasional posts about these countries.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Currently there are only two countries with a subcategory in this forum: Thailand and Indonesia. There is more ASEAN members in HOTOSM and OSM facebook groups.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Both Thailand and Indonesia subcategory only has 1 post per month. Posts about ASEAN countries in general on this forum is estimated to be around 1 post per week.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

Existing Thailand and Indonesia forums can stay without merging. Participant at these subcategories can post either in their country-specific category or in the ASEAN category.

List the usernames of the category moderators

I try to list prominent members from ASEAN countries that is not in Thailand or Indonesia (since these countries already have their own subcategory).

mikko_tamura
mikko_tamura is a prolific Philippines mapper since 2016 and has organized many SEA and LGBT outreach events. He is currently a regional Community Manager at HOT Open Mapping Hub Asia Pacific.

Zh9567
Zh9567 is a very prolific mapper from Malaysia and has mapped every single day since last year (See HDYC). He is active on OSM since 2019 and is embarking on a project to map every single buildings in Ipoh, Malaysian’s eighth-largest city.

Tommy Hoang Long
Tommy Hoang Long is an experienced mapper from Vietnam since 2020. #1 in activity and is very passionate on mapping Saigon, a notoriously difficult place to map.

3 Likes

There’s also a proposal for a Malaysia category underway:

As an OpenStreetMap contributor from the Philippines, I’d be happy if a subcategory covering Southeast Asia (basically current ASEAN member countries plus Timor Leste) would be created.

It is good to have a subcategory for ASEAN, but unfortunately I might not be able to be a moderator, as I am more focusing on my country Malaysia. And by the way where did you get my info from? Nowadays I rarely map buildings in Ipoh but more focusing in Kuala Lumpur instead.

Sorry, I saw it at HDYC and your user profile :slight_smile: Still, it’s a very great accomplishment and is far better than what I’ve ever done. Good job!