Lovske koče - označevanje

Bok Matija,

Thanks for your in-depth reply! :slight_smile:

From my understanding, this sounds closer to what we call lovski dom here – which is typically a larger building used by a local hunting community for gatherings and other types of events. More like a hunters’ association:

But as per my initial post, I was referring to the hunting lodges or better yet cabins called lovska koča in Slovenian, which are usually quite different from lovski dom I posted above and from what you posted as a hunting lodge in your Wikipedia link – and are certainly not “specifically used for organising hunting parties”.

First of all, lovska koča is generally smaller, built from wood, and mostly located in remote places (often deep in the woods or in the clearing in the woods, sometimes close to mountain pastures or in other remote places at higher altitudes, etc.) and are meant to offer basic shelter with accommodation (mostly) to hunters during hunting, as far as I know. Obviously, there may be exceptions and some of these cabins could also be used for small gatherings outside the cabin once in a while, but as I said above, they serve a different purpose than what your Wiki description suggests, as per my knowledge. Also, as mentioned in my initial post, hikers may make a stop by some of these cabins to weather a storm or take a break, as there would often be benches and/or picnic tables near cabins.

Would be nice if someone else chimed in on this topic as well. :slight_smile:

Folks, please try to keep your contributions concise.

Thanks

Oh, OK. Sorry about verbosity, I was trying to provide more detailed in-depth review of the options, unaware that it might present an issue.

Thanks for clarification of that distinction. I’ll just add here that there exists https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapping_Trails_In_Slovenia#Tourism which seems to say that “hunting lodge (lovska koča)” should be mapped as “tourism = hunting_lodge”. I don’t know if that “lovska koča” Slovenian translation & tagging was a community consensus or that one person @Breki idea from 2007 :man_shrugging:.
There also exists related club=hunting which I’d probably use on the “lovski dom”. Anyway I was just trying to hopefully give some helpful ideas; as an outsider to Slovenian community (I only sometimes bicycle and map a little there) I don’t want to impinge on your consensus making. :heart:

1 Like

No worries, your input is definitely appreciated! :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m aware of the Mapping Trails in Slovenia Wiki page, but as far as I know no consensus had been reached back then, as the hunting_lodge tag was proposed in 2007 when OSM was pretty much still at its nascent stage.

Anyway, I’m open to ideas and not really against this tourism=hunting_lodge tag, but should we opt for it as a one-size-fits-all tag, then the hunting_lodge Wiki definition should definitely be expanded.

P.S.: thanks for bringing up the club=hunting tag. I believe I’ve actually used it few times before for lovski dom.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound harsh.

Obviously, OSM crucially relies on exchange of information. My apologies.

Ah, 2007, I was young back when I wrote that :wink: . I guess you could say it was a community consensus since the community was really tiny :slight_smile: . Reading my revision comment: “‘‘tourism = hunting_lodge’’ is not official or even proposed, but I think it should be OK to use. We can add a proposal”. I don’t know what happened after that.

2 Likes

Ok, to keep things simple, I’d be fine with opting for tourism=hunting_lodge for all hunting-related facilities (lovski domovi, lovske koče…), but would still prefer to reconfirm it with at least one other moderator first:

@StefanB ?
@MitjaJez ?
@DavidKarlas ?

In case we’ll have reached an agreement, I’d then suggest expanding the tourism=hunting_lodge Wiki to something along the lines below:

Currently:

A hunting lodge (U.K.) is a small country property specifically used for organising hunting parties.

My proposal for expansion:

It may also refer to a small wooden cabin located deep in the woods or remote mountainous areas, used by hunters during hunting trips. These cabins are simple and have minimal furnishings such as floors, walls, and cupboards. They are designed to provide hunters with everything they need for hunting, sleeping, and staying warm, and may also include basic cooking and bathing facilities.

1 Like

As said before, I have concerns using the tourism=* key for something that is not primarily for tourism.

Also, I think we should consult the international community before unilaterally introducing new definitions in the wiki.

2 Likes

Looks like there are at least few building=hunting_lodge and building=hunting_stand in German speaking countries…
Maybe that is way to go, and add tourism=* only when it has regular opening hours and accessible to general public…

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, David.

Hunting stand is a hunting stand, and should remain being used for that sole purpose only. Definitely not appropriate for hunting lodges/cabins imho – quite different purposes of use.

As for building=hunting_lodge…maybe, though it’s just a building=* kind of tag and as far as I can see there only 9 examples of use so far. But I guess it would be passable. On the contrary, there are 163 examples of tourism=hunting_lodge for example.

1 Like

+1 for building=hunting_lodge and David’s comment about tourism=*.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Note that I created that OSM wiki stub linking to wikipedia, as that tag was used but completely undocumented. That wikipedia also links to Jagdschloss - Wikipedia as the more expanded article from German perspective, saying:

Jagdschloss is always related to hunting: the walls may be adorned with antlers and other trophies, with scenes of hunting, and also by a deliberate use of wood or other natural materials.
A Jagdschloss could also be very lavishly furnished, but unlike a Lustschloss, timber-framed buildings or log cabins were not uncommon

That sounds reasonable. However that tag was undocumented before this discussion, so my initial OSM wiki linking to wikipedia was as unilateral as the next one. Would you like to open a thread linking here in general tagging category, or would you prefer me to do it?

Note that many of the tourism=* do not have regular opening hours, but are pre-reservation only (e.g. tourism=chalet or tourism=apartment). And some are restricted to only a tiny subset of general population (e.g. tourism=caravan_site).

But I do understand the general sentiment that perhaps a better primary key might have been chosen. The same situation is with some other tags in OSM (e.g. shop=hairdresser is not really a shop).

1 Like

What I would like to note (what is perhaps being missed) is that building=* is about (architectural) type of building, not about it’s use.
How does proposed building=hunting_lodge visually/structurally differ from (popular nad documented) building=cabin? That should be documented in its (currently undocumented) wiki, if it is to be used.

For indicating how a building is being used, there is building:use=* tag (with several existing examples of building:use=hunting_lodge too):

The building:use=* key describes what kind of function a building=* serves. This tag can be handy when the form or original purpose of a building differs from its present use.
The function of a building can usually be expressed by combining building= with other common tags, such as amenity=, shop=, or tourism=*.
Imagine a church building used as a library: building=church + amenity=library

Because one can have (building=cabin is always visually/structurally the same building) :

• building=cabin which is being used as tourism=chalet , but also
  • building=cabin being used as building:use=hunting_lodge (or more popular tourism=hunting_lodge, depending what one prefer to use) or
  • building=cabin being used as amenity=restaurant
  • etc…
2 Likes

Good point, Matija.
So we should tad it with more tags.
Next to building=cabin is there a use of cabin= hunting_lodge or amenity= hunting_lodge?

Hi @Matija_Nalis @martianfreeloader ,

Any follow-up regarding this topic? :slight_smile:

The only input to the discussion from my end is this consideration:

I haven’t taken the time to think about other aspects of the topic.

Not really, I think I’ve shoot out all the ideas I’ve had on the subject :smile_cat:

TL;DR: I’d personally mark them as building=cabin to mark architectural style of the building and as tourism=hunting_lodge (as that is most popular tag currently used) to indicate their purpose.
Do feel free to improve the wiki docs, add pictures, etc. though! That page is just a stub currently…

I do see where @martianfreeloader comes from though - that tourism=* might not be best chosen top-level tag in this case as hunting lodges are not primarily intended for tourists, but (in my humble opinion):

• tourism seems good enough, as other things under that tourism=* key are also often used by locals / non-tourists, like tourism=museum, tourism=artwork etc.
  • visiting hunting clubs or individuals are sometimes invited to participate / given access to the hunting lodges, so sport hunting is a kind of a tourism anyway.
  • other alternatives (leisure=*? sport=*? club=*? amenity=*? nature=*?) seem even worse choices to me for it

In any case, even if better name could’ve been chosen, in OSM I personally highly prefer to just continue using the previously used tag instead of inventing the new tag with same meaning but in different namespace - just like I continue to use e.g. somewhat illogical shop=hairdresser instead of re-inventing the same tag under a different name – even though it is not really a “shop” and you can’t “buy hairdressers” (or any other kind of slaves) there… :open_mouth:

Especially as there seems to have been previous Slovenian consensus to use tourism=hunting_lodge for that purpose of “lovska koča”, and I see no particularly good reason to change that.

2 Likes

@mk2k22 looks like this is undiscovered land, which gives you both the liberty and burden to use your judgement and do what you think makes most sense. :wink:

I think Matija makes good points above, so at the end of the day I’m fine with using the tourism=hunting_lodge tag as it seems to have the most usage.

I’ll belatedly add that I’m also fine with tourism=hunting_lodge, additionally since we do actually have a lively “hunting tourism” sector.

2 Likes