Like icon fire too fast on mobile

When browsing on mobile, not logged in, the small heart under each post fires mistakenly when panning with the thumb.
Is it just me ? I don’t have the same issue on the french discourse.

3 Likes

I haven’t experienced that myself, if you can reproduce it maybe we can report upstream to discourse bugs.

Reproduces here but not on e.g. meta.discourse.org — any way to compare the version numbers?

(Answer: View source and look for the <meta name="generator"> tag.)

1 Like

We are on the 2.8.0 stable branch.

1 Like

This appears to be fixed in 2.9.0.beta2.

1 Like

Can you test if this has been fixed now? I see the new stable release got some rendering issues.

No, this is not fixed in 2.8.4.

It seems fix to me, this morning.

Here’s the fixed behavior:

2.9.0.beta5-fixed

Here’s what I’m seeing here:

2.8.4-bug

Apologies that Android has decided screen recordings no longer show touches, but pretend I’m scrolling the page by the heart.

Ah OK. The main issue seems to be resolved for me: when not logged in and firing the :white_heart:, I was prompted with the logging page, which disrupts a lot reading a thread.
This is no longer the case apparently.

For me this issue is not fixed. Latest Chrome browser with Android.

1 Like

Can you check and fill a bug over bug - Discourse Meta with steps on how to reproduce?

Thanks!

When I swipe trough a topic on my smartphone it happens that I accidentally touch the screen at the position of the heart symbol below a posting. The heart turns red and I gave a like to the posting without being aware and I end up with lots of likes that I did not want to give. Reverting an accidental like seems only possible while viewing the post but not afterwards.

If this is not a single issue for myself I would propose to have liking on mobile devices in two steps, as it is already the case where different “likes” are available (thumb up/down): tap on the heart opens a pop-up with a heart, a second tap confirms.

Subsidary question: when I realized that I made lots of likes this way I deleted my account and recreated one. I wonder what happened to the likes I made with the old account. In general, it seems a bit strange to me to have subsequent forum accounts linked to the same OSM account, apparently without any visible relationship between them. Wouldn’t it be better to reactivate the previous account in those cases, at least to propose it?

1 Like

For me, a like is only given when I press the like button with a short tap. Dragging the button to scroll does not trigger it.

What browser are you using?

Chrome on a Phone under Android 12

On my device it depends how long the finger is touching the screen while swiping.

• Short touch: heart is activated
  • Long touch: popup with smily selection appears

Exactly. And when during a fast scroll down through a long topic with subsequent swipes the finger touches a heart, the heart gets red but it is scrolled out of the screen before one can get aware of this.

Ok, I was not aware of this. So my proposal would be to have this popup also on a short tap on the heart. This seems useful anyway as users otherwise may not be aware that more than a simple heart like is available.

Glad to learn that I am not the only user who encountered this problem. I guess this can only be solved upstream. Discourse should ignore touch events on the like button that are immediately followed by a drag event.

1 Like

It has happened me too. Maybe I am just clumsy, but I feel like I should be able to scroll without needing to concentrate intensely to avoid triggering unintentional actions.

4 Likes

Happened a few times to me too on Firefox Android.

We should probably follow-up upstream describing when and how this happened to us so the authors can fix it

1 Like