Korea (North / South Korea) Subcategory

Category name

한국 / 조선 (Korea) → 한국/조선 (Korea)

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Community place for contributors on North and South Korea OSM.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Here is better place to discuss several each issues for Korea OSM efficiently than a Telegram chatting room.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

We are communicate on a Telegram channel (OSMKorea) and the talk-ko mailing list.

https://t.me/osmKorea

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

• Several mails per month are posted at the talk-ko mailing list.

• OSMKorea telegram channel is very active. Almost chatting everyday.

• South Korea category on the OSM forum is rarely used.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

There is no plan currently.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

The OSM Etiquette Guidelines will apply.

List the usernames of the category moderators

• @adreamy, one of the very active OSM Korea members. He often maps Korea-specefic features such as Hyanggyo or Seowon, historical educational institute in Korea.
  • @LuxuryCoop, myself. I’m one of the WeeklyOSM editors, translating the articles into Korean.
  • @oruk09, one of the passionate Korea OSM contributor.
5 Likes

Thanks.
I accept the status of category moderators.

2 Likes

I also nominate @oruk09 , He is active on the OSMKorea TG channel, and regularly edits the Korean OSM. (Unfortunately, now he can’t post a comment here for an unknown reason…)

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great to clarify if this request is coming from communities in both countries and to understand if this is how mapping in these countries has been organized in other channels.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

I agree with the moderators. They are trusted users within the Korean OSM community.

3 Likes

Excuse me, but what is ‘voting poll to validate the list by the community’?

1 Like

Korea (North / South Korea) Subcategory에서 토론을 계속: @oruk09 translated the contents using NAVER Papago

Please fill this template with your request, the forum team will follow up and might ask some additional questions if needed. Thanks!

Category name

I’ve been waiting for a very, very long time for that subject This topic should be discussed until the end of the Korean War🤔

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

I’d like to call this an intermediate stage As I said above, I would like to watch this debate for a long time

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Our country is in a ‘rest’ war, so it is very limited to collecting data under the National Security Law I also respect the opinions of community activists in other countries

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

The country can be likened to an “Arabian Night” You can find the last culture of a country that hasn’t disappeared yet

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

@LuxuryCoop I respect this person’s Noryeokap for the people of the low marks on foreign language.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

To tell you the truth, our citizens are very wary of new spaces and are gathered in existing spaces

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

I’m not thinking about a new space I need to talk to a lot of people

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

if none, the OSM Etiquette Guidelines will apply. Replace this line with your answer

List the usernames of the category moderators

i am I accept the status of category moderators.

I edited many North Korean OSM features or relations.

2 Likes

I think the headword to be expressed should be ‘한국/조선(Korea)’.
‘한국’ refers to South Korea by itself, and ‘조선’ refers to North Korea by itself.
In addition, the word ‘Korea’ implies both South Korea and North Korea.
I’m afraid that it will harden into ‘Korea (North / South Korea)’…

1 Like
  1. There seem to be few (or no) North Korean mappers.
  2. It seems that the mapping of North Korean regions is done by nationalities other than North Korea.
  3. I think that the ‘somewhere community’ is not a space only for people somewhere, but a ‘community related to somewhere’.
  4. Therefore, I think it would be good for the ‘한국/조선(Korea) community’ to be positioned as a space to help and communicate with mappers in North Korea as well as South Korea.
  5. If you roughly agree with this perception, please write your consent on the category application page and leave a different opinion. I think the important thing is for more people to participate in the discussion. So, don’t be shy and if you leave a comment, even a single line, it will be of great help.
    E.g. : “‘한국/조선(Korea)’ 서브카테고리에 동의합니다.”(I agree to the ‘한국/조선(Korea)’ subcategory.)

제가 힘 닿는 데까지 살펴본 바로는,

1. 북한 거주 매퍼는 거의(혹은 전혀) 없는것 같습니다.
  2. 북한 지역 매핑은 북한 이외 국적자들이 하고 있는 것 같습니다.(일부 북한 여행자가 포함되어 있을 수도…)
  3. 남한만 한정해서 생각해도 '한국 커뮤니티’가 한국 사람 만을 위한 공간이라기 보다는 '한국 관련 커뮤니티’라는 성격이 크다고 생각합니다.
  4. 따라서, '한국/조선 커뮤니티’가 남한은 물론 북한 지역 매퍼들에게 도움을 주고 소통을 하는 공간으로 자리매김하는 것이 좋겠다는 생각입니다.
  5. 대충 이런 인식에 동의하신다면 카테고리 신청 페이지에 동의한다는 뜻을 적어 주시고 혹 다른 의견을 남겨 주셔도 좋겠습니다. 중요한 것은 보다 많은 사람들이 논의에 참여하고 있다는 것을 보여주는 것이라고 생각합니다. 그러니 부끄러워 하지 마시고 한 줄이라도 의견을 남겨 주시면 큰 도움이 될 것입니다.
    보기 : “‘한국/조선(Korea)’ 서브카테고리에 동의합니다.”(I agree to the ‘한국/조선(Korea)’ subcategory.)
5 Likes

I agree to your proposal.
Thank you.

4 Likes

I also agree with adreamy, as foreign contributor on North Korea.

I think that there is no north-korean contributor, but just foreign contributor on the area of North Korea.
I strongly agree to present the community as a place for “people interested in mapping South Korea or/and North Korea”

The name question can be a never-ending question, I think that “한국/조선(Korea)” is the simplest, and clearest for all people (especially for new contributors)

3 Likes

I agree with @adreamy.
Mapping in North Korea is mostly done by armchair mappers around the world. A minority of edits comes from people who may have visited the country and a few edits are from workers of international organizations who live there. I would think it is almost certain no North Korean national who resides in North Korea is contributing to mapping. It’s just not possible without proper internet and would possibly be considered treason.

There can not be anything like a “North Korean mapping community”. Strictly impossible under the current political circumstances. And while this is the case, South Korean mappers may be the most suitable to also deal with mapping issues relating North Korea. By the way, the term “North Korea” is already offensive for the regime. It wants to be referred to as 조선 (Choson) or DPRK.

4 Likes

Thank you for your good opinion.
That’s why the subcategory title is '한국/조선(Korea)[that is, ‘Han-kook/Choseon(Korea)’].

3 Likes

Let’s add some space for typographic reasons:
한국/조선 (Korea)

3 Likes

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @adreamy @LuxuryCoop and @oruk09 to be category moderators for the “한국 / 조선 (Korea)” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

3 Likes

Thank you for your efforts.
And the subcategory heading should be ‘한국/조선_(Korea)’ (’_’ is blank)

한국/조선 (Korea)

2 Likes

신청서의 카테고리 명칭을 '한국 / 조선 (Korea)'에서 '한국/조선 (Korea)'로 변경했습니다. 이의가 있으신 분께서는 11월 9일까지 말씀해 주세요.

I’ve changed the category name of the application form from ‘한국 / 조선 (Korea)’ to ‘한국/조선 (Korea)’. If you have any objections, please let me know by November 9th.

1 Like

The #communities:ko category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Special thanks to @nukeador for his hard work. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like