Key access - unwarranted Wiki edit

The documentarian of key access says: Access values describe legal permissions/restrictions

In this edit Key:access: Difference between revisions - OpenStreetMap Wiki the meaning was turned into You cannot physically go through in a table in section Introductory examples.

This edit clearly conflicts the described meaning. I volunteer to change the wording there: *Nobody must get there." Suggestions welcome!

1 Like

Probably make it an “not legal for the public”

“must” ist something Germany speakers have issues with - as long as we are not referring to RFC2119 which explains MUST, SHOULD, MAY we should (giggle) avoid them.

Essentially - go for it.

Flo

2 Likes

Wiki is generally free for everyone of good faith to edit, and we encourage contributors to amend, fix or tweak the contents (known as “be bold” principle). Only if a disagreement arises, you should discuss the issue on the Wiki talk page, and bring it here for a broader discussion only if a wider attention is needed.

That being said, I find personal “you” in the Description column jarring, as it pertains to everyone. I try to avoid “you” in technical documentation, except perhaps when directly addressing the mapper who reads the text. I would remove the column altogether, and merge it with the last column.

2 Likes

Thanks Duja. I completely missed that the big table is on the bottom somewhere, to be honest.

I try to think about the the “be bold” principle the next time. And i agree with the “you”.

Having seen it, I’m in the process of completely overhauling the Key:access page – it’s so long, disorganized and full of random examples that it’s no wonder you missed the main table.

I plan to move the Values table towards the top, Examples to the bottom, and the long text concerning “Restrictions other than access tags” somewhere else entirely, – most likely (Restrictions - OpenStreetMap Wiki).

Done. While more work could be done, I hope those pages are better readable and accessible now. I didn’t remove anything, except for a short list of trivial example tag values. Please review.

4 Likes

I noticed the same three weeks ago but no one agreed with my suggestion to revert, so I didn’t proceed. Glad this has been done now.

1 Like

I see, that @Duja completely removed the table with the personal take of the editor. I am fine with this. I just made legal bold again and added the qualifier pre-eminently instead. We never will know how many times access=no was used (in the mean time) to convey sac_scale|mtb:scale|foot:scale|smoothness=unpassable or hazard=death – only extensive OTG research can tell.

You missed the abstract on the very top too :wink: It has been fairly stable the last 14 years.

No need. I think we can be quite certain that access=no has been applied with this very intention many more times by mappers who have never read the access page, let alone within the last nine months due to this edit.

1 Like

Nah, you cannot wipe this away so conveniently, OTG research, that is all that openstreetmap is about! (Conspicuously not using a smiley/emoticon.)

Not saying there shouldn’t be groundtruth, just that we can put things in perspective: this edit probably had a small impact compared to an editor user’s natural tendency to interpret “access” as a layperson would.

Hello, I’m the one who added that table. I want to make a compact table that summarize the long page for beginners, but to be honest I haven’t given that much thought to the table since. Feel free to improve on the table, but I think that the table has enough value that it should not be removed.

But after I reorganized the article, on its place is now the big table with the four most common values (yes, no, permissive, private) at the top. I don’t think we need the summary in that context.

3 Likes