It don't show to which message I responded anymore

I see two different outcomes depending on whether I choose to reply to a post (be it the last one or not) or to the thread, but in either case, the post/thread I’m responding to is shown:

recording

1 Like

test reply to #3 filler20filler

test reply to #4 filler20filler

test reply to #5 filler20filler

test reply to #8 filler20filler

1 Like

I have thought about that in the first place - as written here before.

I don’t know why it almost all time works in this thread
but not in german-forum (for me since November 1st).

In #3 it has not worked.

My first test (test reply to #1 filler20filler) wasn’t like my expection.
Perhaps because it was a reply on the last post, it looks like my 3rd test

Here it don’t worked:

And here it did worked:

I can’t figure out why it only sometimes work and not always.
My procedure is always the same.

edit:
In this post it has not worked again.

Wait, are you talking about the actual reply once it’s published, not about the composing interface for the reply? Because I in the composing interface I can always see who I’m replying to (an individual post or the thread), though it appears on the left as seen in the screencast I posted above.

I suspect the actual post, once published, doesn’t show who you are replying to if it’s a response to the immediately preceding post.

EDIT: indeed, this was the case: I wrote this post as a reply to your last post, and saw that indication in the composing interface, but once published, it didn’t show up in the thread as being a reply to your post specifically.

Yes, that’s the case. Also if you use the reply button at the bottom of the topic and you are just replying to the initial message.

Is it possible to change this behaviour? It is incredibly confusing, as can be seen by this thread.

1 Like

I’m not fully sure I understand what’s currently confusing.

Is the ask to enable the “in-reply-to” link in messages when the reply is to the message directly above? Is there a need for an expanding in-reply-to link when the message is just on your screen above?

That’s at least part of it, yes. More generally Discourse shouldn’t try and second-guess what I did and think I meant something else (replace characters I used with other characters, or remove part of my reply, for example).

1 Like

@nukeador
Yes, that’s it.
Why it can’t show this in every reply? When the user explicitly click on the “direct reply to a specific post” instead of click on “the very last reply at the bottom” to only reply to the thread in general.

Somehow the “behavior” of the forum concerning this issue has improved since I has started this thread. (Why that? Maybe you can tell me that. I don’t know.)
Now there are only some posts that are excluded. I think that should be fixed too.
Thank you in advance

1 Like

I don’t really know why it wasn’t working and it’s working on this one. From my understanding, you won’t get the “in-reply-to” only in the two situations I commented (reply is just below or you reply to the original message)

1 Like

I use the forums in mailing list mode, reading them in Evolution which is an Outlook type application. I am sure many of us are faimliar with Outlook in our non-FOSS dayjobs.

Evolution and Outlook both display a tree like view where I can easily see who has responded to who.

This is a the view I see from the @tagging list.

From the forums I just see a single indent, and not who has respended to who.
An example of the ‘same’ topic as in the tagging list.

I have never been a fan of forums as they basically show everthing in chronological order. It would be nice if the forums would replicate this standard mailing list feature.

Phil (trigpoint)

2 Likes

Email threading used to work, but it seems there is a bug upstream being discussed

2 Likes

As another bit of feedback, my reply at https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/including-the-uk-quiet-lanes-in-openstreetmap/6141/5 was actually to the first post of the thread, not the most recent one. As far as I can see, there is no way to tell that.

(I know this issue has been raised before, but a search doesn’t find it, hence this new thread).

Edit: This post has now been moved to below the previous topic. Thanks!

1 Like

Hmm yeah I agree it would be good to distinguish if a post is a reply to the original first post, or to the post just above it. Is it possible to enable this?

2 Likes

Another bug related to this issue: If you are writing a reply to the most recent post and someone else ( not @SomeoneElse 
 I mean any other someone else 
 :wink:) happens to squeeze in another reply before you finished your own, you end up being cut off from the post you replied to.

Happened to me already 2 times and the only workaround apparently is to edit your post and insert a “@xxx” on top of your post to indicate the user you replied to.

Generally I do not see any reason at all why the link to the post you replied to should not be fixed to your reply in any case, notwithstanding if you replied to the OP or the most recent post or any other one. The link does not cost any extra money and is does not make any sense to omit it in one ore the other case.

3 Likes