How to tag a Photo point?

Hello, I would like to tag a photo point specifically designed for tourists to take photos. Examples include large frames of various shapes, such as rectangular or heart-shaped, often featuring signs with the name of the location in sight. It could also be large letters spelling out the name of the location.

Examples:

2 Likes

There was some discussion here a few months ago on something similar, though that was more for poke-a-face-out-of-artwork than the kinds of things in your examples.

But I don’t think there’s anything existing beyond tourism=attraction or tourism=artwork. I’d be happy to be shown wrong, though.

1 Like

Note Any tags you like - OpenStreetMap Wiki

If there is nothing existing then inventing new tag would be a good idea (yes, initially it will not be supported by data consumers)

3 Likes

I asked the same question recently. My result: tourism=photo_location

With the tag photo_location=* you can specify the location more detailed.

But you mentioned =outlook_frame before Wie einen Selfie Point eintragen? - #42 by OSM_RogerWilco
Have they actually checked what’s =photo_location is used for? Such already low numbers don’t mean anything without the same usage. The 1st example I look at is immediately wrong. Node: 4517312056 | OpenStreetMap File:Salzburg Skulptur vor Markuskirche.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
I would have thought =photo_location is a board or statue with a hole at the figure’s head for you to look through, as asked in the other question. I will comment there.
Another concern is confusion or misuse for subjective good photographing spots, and =viewpoint , similar to Maps.me spam . Also, there are “tourist trap” services taking photos for you and printing for a price.

That was last year. I was referring to a discussion in the OSM DACH Telegram group this year.

I think tourism=photo_location is more flexibe, because tourism=outlook_frame only fits to photo frames. Today i would prefer tourism=photo_location + photo_location=outlook_frame.

The description describes a perfect place for a photo of the statue. That is correct… But the image and wikidata tags are wrong. They belong to the artwork object itself and not the photo point.

Can you explain how “best photography spot” is correctly used for =photo_location , and is something acceptable for OSM? That’s exactly what doesn’t belong to OSM, and should be removed. This shows how easily =photo_location will be abused.

Of course there must be something on site. E.g. markings. See my example above. Have you checked that this is not the case in your example? Then of course it doesn’t belong in our database.

Thank you all very much for your valuable input, which I used (with some help from AI) to hammer out this proposal: Proposal:Photopoint. Please, let me know your thoughts :pray:

1 Like