Horrors are written on the maps of Russia

You may not revert edits until accounts are blocked :frowning:

As long as the accounts are not blocked, it is better not to deal with reverts.

Has anyone contacted Wikipedia or the like to see what their experiences of concentrated vandalism have been?

Ok. Have reported a lot of those. Will wait with further reverts.

Wikipedia has a good track record of dealing with vandalism and you can draw ideas from there. But

1. We have a much more complex data model: we have geometry, changesets can be long open, they affect many objects at once…
  2. As long as we have a leaky registration it nullifies all other ideas. Add support for rate limiting signup requests by tomhughes ¡ Pull Request #4198 ¡ openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website ¡ GitHub
1 Like

Some more of those vandalism bots (list deleted)

Edit: all blocked by the relentless working DWG team, Thank you.

Actually, I probably wouldn’t report them all in “oneboxes” here, as it just makes the forum difficult to read - email the DWG or report the accounts in the usual way. There tend to be lots of these at once (I’ve just blocked 150)… Clearly the solution isn’t playing “whack-a-mole” after the event, though, as I said above.

I think I’ve got all of the current wave (blocks, not reverts) - if any are still unblocked please do let us know.

2 Likes

Yes, I just tried to list them somewhere but started to refrain from discourse when I saw discourse using those boxes here for a plain list of links (it will need ages before I get to be friends with discourse…). But I saw you asking for a link elsewhere thats why I listed them here. And next time I will probably just use one mail with a list instead of using the “report user” function each time (I just hoped that the report user function would result in you having a “block user” function.) But I’m not sure what is easier to handle for the DWG.

I’m actually blocking users based on (a) identifying the way that users are editing and (b) user reports and emails to the DWG.

(a) is actually surprisingly effective, but (b) is also useful because it allows to work through a list and make sure none have been missed.

1 Like

???

you definitely can do this (though with automated vandalism it may be not very effective, still it is not case of “You may not revert edits”)

Most likely my translation is confusing you. My point was that as long as accounts are not blocked, it’s best not to engage in reverts. Clarified that.

1 Like

I was reading this in English.

Especially if account is just throwaway one and stopped editing reverting damage is 100% fine.

Could we just simply put a strong CAPTCHA on the sign up page? Or at least introduce a several hour time delay between registering and when editing is enabled so we have time to spot suspicious accounts before they start the scripted edits?

1 Like

so difficulty for mass signups should be increased now, more can be done

1 Like

There are still a lot of obscene words on the maps, it’s a horror for at least 2 days, users have been reading it.

If you see a problem on a rendered map, can you go to that place on https://www.openstreetmap.org/ and use the “query features” button at the bottom right to see if the problem still remains? Likely it has been fixed in the data and you’re just seeing a cached version of some old data (either in your browser, or from the tile CDN). If you do see vandalised data stll, please report the object ID that is the problem.

Screenshot_20230827_125825

Can I take a screenshot

No - please provide the URL that links to the data object in OSM.

2 Likes

“query features”

No, zoom in and press the “query features” button:

Screenshot_20230827_125825