Fast food in shop/fuel

Hello everyone.
How do we map that you can buy basic fast food (mainly hotdogs) or coffee at a shop or petrol station?

In my country it’s commonly sold at the same desk, there is no separate line nor employee responsible for food. Most of such shops are shop=convenience.

I believe best scheme would be using key fast_food=* together with shop=* / amenity=* it was discussed at polish community forum here.

Wiki states that amenity=fast_food is required for fast_food=* however there is no such requirement in similar tags eg. lottery=yes. Could that requirement be modified to explicitly allows combining with shop=* or amenity=fuel?

2 Likes

Yes, adding fast_food=yes to amenity=fuel is perfectly OK, & very common. I’ve just amended the fast_food=* wiki to include this

2 Likes

Once we admit fast_food=yes for this kiosk, it’s only a matter of time before folks find it desirable to say more about the kiosk, such as the brand:

These kiosks seem analogous to the concept of a “counter” at some larger establishments like drugstores and supermarkets. So if someone is interested in micromapping this detail, it would be nice to come up with a tag for a service counter that’s less prominent than a standalone POI:

Nice, I did not start mapping those counters yet, but the idea was to use meat_counter=yes and fish_counter=yes.
In this case I believe that adding the tag fast_food=yes to the main POI should be a good way to describe that it provides fast food for customers.

Nice, I did not start mapping those counters yet, but the idea was to use meat_counter=yes and fish_counter=yes.
In this case I believe that adding the tag fast_food=yes to the main POI should be a good way to describe that it provides fast food for customers.

by the way, what is the meaning of “fast food”? Is it about the typology of food that is sold, or merely about the fact that it is fast because it is already cooked or doesn’t require lengthy preparation?
Is there “healthy fast food”, or would that be a different main category?

E.g. a salad bar? Oysters? Are these fast food or could they be fast food when sold at counters to be eaten “on the go”?

Thank you all for comments. I will update Wiki page.

I believe fast food has to be prepared somehow otherwise it would be a shop. I would also expect to be able to eat it standing up, take it and leave (no need to return plates).

1 Like

Here are some more examples of hot food counters at gas station convenience stores, just so we don’t wind up too focused on a particular example. I should reiterate that many people are already tagging more detail than just fast_food=yes would indicate, though of course it’s OK to use less specific tags as a first pass before a micromapper comes in.

Here’s one I would be inclined to tag as amenity=fast_food cuisine=chicken brand=Chester’s brand:wikidata=Q5093401 takeaway=yes, whether or not the cashier has to hop between the main register and the fried chicken counter:

And here’s one for which NSI recommends amenity=fast_food brand=Hunt Brothers Pizza brand:wikidata=Q5943909 cuisine=pizza takeaway=yes, though I would at least change it to takeaway=only:

Sometimes these stands aren’t much to look at:

Imgur

Some foods don’t require as much equipment. This stand is nothing more than a self-serve warming device for day-old doughnuts, but there’s probably still a sign for it outside the store:

Delivered Fresh Daily stand

Actually, it’s not that common. Taginfo finds fewer than 100 worldwide, which is a tiny number compared to the 494,848
amenity=fuel in total.

2 Likes

Thanks, Andy!

That surprises me, as I’ve tagged a few that way myself, seen others already tagged & also seen discussions that said it was the thing to do?