"emotional" feedback buttons add no value

I’m on mobile right now (Firefox). Tapping on the emojis brings up the full list of reactions along with the user icons. Clicking on a user takes you to their profile.

Screen grab:

1 Like

Maybe I witnessed something similar: A frowning face on a post of mine, that left me uncertain, whether it meant the message or the messenger. Lucky to learn that is has no influence on site metrics, glad there is not thumbs down that leaves the people clicking oblivious of what it applies to.

A frowning face on a post of mine, that left me uncertain, whether it meant the message or the messenger. Lucky to learn that is has no influence on site metrics, glad there is not thumbs down that leaves the people clicking oblivious of what it applies to.

is this a general remark against emojis or would you mind explaining why a thumbs down is different from a thumbs up in this respect?

2 Likes

There’s already a thumbs down request topic

3 Likes

At least in the desktop version, you can easily view the people who reacted with emojis (on the left) by hovering your mouse over them. As for likes specifically, if you click on the three-dot button (“show more”), the content will expand, revealing the individuals who liked it.

2 Likes

At least in the desktop version, you can easily view the people who reacted with emojis (on the left) by hovering your mouse over them. As for likes specifically, if you click on the three-dot button (“show more”), the content will expand, revealing the individuals who liked it.

it also works on mobile, tap on the icons and they will expand

1 Like

In Firefox on Android, the thumbs-up symbol is set when I scroll through a topic with my finger. A selection of the icons as with the desktop computer with the mouseover does not show up. This is a bug in the forum software.

I know that with the thumbs up symbol, by touching and circular swiping, the other symbols appear for selection.

I would be hesitant about removing this feature. It may not add value for you, but reactions are part of the default way Discourse works. The pros of keeping reactions allow people to express themselves without them needing to post an entire message. The problem in your example is someone reacted with “angry”, but they don’t seem to have any other posts.

The possibility someone might use this reaction seems more like a symptom of OSM. Discussions surrounding vandalism and “odd edits” sometimes feel confrontational because usually the person making the unwanted edits is either malicious or does so unwittingly. The vast majority of reactions are usually positive.

The vast majority of reactions are usually positive.

easy as there aren’t negative reactions available :joy:

Consider that the emoji-style reactions allow people to engage without writing text. In that context, a “negative” emoji allows someone to react in perhaps a far less confrontational way than if they had to write text to disagree. A far more comprehensive range of emojis is in use in Slack and Discord, and these forums even allow users to add custom emoji reactions. Emotional emojis allow for more civil discourse by giving people a symbolic alternative to an emotional textual response.

I would oppose removing or reducing emoji reactions as they are part of the reason why forums with them tend to be more civil than forums without them.

2 Likes

Related, I wonder what “frowning” mean to people here? :slightly_frowning_face: or :angry:? What do those emojis mean to people here? To my Hiberno-English senses, :slightly_frowning_face: means “unhappy” or “sad”, not “frown” or “angry”. :angry: means “angry” or “frown”. Apparently there’s a European vs American difference. I’m worried that people have been misunderstanding my :slightly_frowning_face:’s.

:slightly_frowning_face::worried:

I would call :slightly_frowning_face: a frown. It’s even called “slightly frowning face” :smiley:

possibly, just possibly, nothing personal, just someone trying to fit an intended :-1: (pure plain disagreement) with the available choices? and just possibly, getting slightly upset with the fact that we still can’t purely disagree, we are expected to either agree, or react emotionally.

I’d blame the governance team defining the available reactions, refusing to acknowledge the expressed need, not the person who used that specific reaction.

try to disagree with me, and choose a reaction to show that.

3 Likes

:-1:

:innocent:

These icons tell me, something made you sad (traurig) or angry (zornig). I guess it is much due to personal temper or mood of the day which one you chose. Choice may also be a conscious effort to appear as a certain kind of lad.

Unless the icon comes with verbatim accusation, whether it was the message told or the behaviour of the messenger that touched on emotions is up for the receiver of the iconic message to decide :slight_smile:

Not a native English speaker, I do not know the feminine of lad, all I know, it is not lady.

Indeed, I am not a fan of emojis, I do not see any need for a thumbs down emoji. I lived under the the impression that in a QA forum, thumbs up/down are not emojis. They are a way of telling the valuable advice from the junk – the canonical example of, somebody stating that “rm -rf /” as root in a *nix forum will cure your problem. Have I been mistaken?

1 Like

how does this answer @dieterdreist question?

1 Like

These icons tell me, something made you sad (traurig) or angry (zornig). I guess it is much due to personal temper or mood of the day which one you chose. Choice may also be a conscious effort to appear as a certain kind of lad.

Unless the icon comes with verbatim accusation, whether it was the message told or the behaviour of the messenger that touched on emotions is up for the receiver of the iconic message to decide :slight_smile:

Not a native English speaker, I do not know the feminine of lad, all I know, it is not lady.

Ladette is one possible usage but both have certain connotations of a particular type of young man/woman which is not always positive.

But this is coming from my wenglish/Leicestershire upbringing. Such words vary between different dialects.

In international forums such as OSM I will stick to RP. On talk-gb I may slip into Wenglish or Leicestershire occasionally.

lass ?

Which QA forum? We have help.openstreetmap.org QA forum, but Discourse community.openstreetmap.org isn’t QA forum (it is discussion forum - ill suited as replacement for QA forum IMHO, at least without very heavy plugin modifications).