"emotional" feedback buttons add no value

There’s been lots of chat about this already, but sometimes it helps to give a concrete example.

Here I mentioned a potential problem in Italy in the Italian category. I was reporting a potential problem there (potentially bad news). The reactions were one “thumbs up” and one “angry”.

It’s reasonable to assume that the “thumbs up” is a reaction to my post, not the underlying problem, but what about the “angry”? Was that with me or with the problem that I reported?

Most of the others are similarly problematic. We have:

• +1
  • “heart”
  • “laughing”
  • “open mouth”
  • “cry”
  • “angry”
  • “hugs”
  • “frowning_face”
  • “star_struck”

Of those, “+1” makes sense and “frowning_face” is probably the nearest that we have to a “-1” (even though it has no meaning in the site metrics). “laughing” is sometimes useful for “I get the joke”. Some people use “heart” instead of “+1”; the rest, no so much.

6 Likes

Why don’t you just ask whoever posted the “angry” icon what they meant. Send them a direct message.

The fact that you are getting these shows who is engaging in what you are saying. That is better than nothing as it gives you an idea of who you could speak with if it wasn’t clear in what they meant.

Summary: they add value and if any are not clear, just as the person who posted them. In time you will get more used to them and how individuals use them.

No, I don’t want to do that, for a couple of reasons. One is that if that person hasn’t posted elsewhere in the discussion it’s because they don’t want to - that’s a perfectly reasonable attitude to have, and life is too short to have detailed views on everything. The other is that in that example it’s a conversation across the language barrier, and automatic translation would struggle to get across “why are you angry?” without the nuance that I’m just asking a question; I’m not angry with them.

1 Like

Ok that’s fine but I note that life’s not too short to create this new topic. They add no value to you, they add value to other people. Conclusion: leave them in so others can take value from them and you just get used to ignoring them.

Or am I missing something?

What do you think the “angry” reaction I linked above meant?

Interesting sidenote: adding my :cry: emoticon pushed out / removed :hugs: by other user? Huh?

:arrow_down:

1 Like

I noticed that a maximum of three types seemed to be displayed - I was hoping to get the full set :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, the system does not display more than max 3 different icons to the left … I just kicked away the :heart: of another user … :laughing: … so this is proof enough that one should not take this stuff too serious imho … :wink:

3 Likes

But unless I’m missing something, you can’t see who has responded to your post with only a emoticon?

e.g. on this post of mine: Community vector tile server?, it says that I have received 2 x “thumbs up”, but I don’t know who they’ve come from?

It’s far from obvious - you have to click the “three dots” below. It’ll show you some pictures, and if you hover your mouse over them it’ll say who.

3 Likes

Or maybe I should actually say “Thanks!” :grinning:

I’m on mobile right now (Firefox). Tapping on the emojis brings up the full list of reactions along with the user icons. Clicking on a user takes you to their profile.

Screen grab:

1 Like

Maybe I witnessed something similar: A frowning face on a post of mine, that left me uncertain, whether it meant the message or the messenger. Lucky to learn that is has no influence on site metrics, glad there is not thumbs down that leaves the people clicking oblivious of what it applies to.

A frowning face on a post of mine, that left me uncertain, whether it meant the message or the messenger. Lucky to learn that is has no influence on site metrics, glad there is not thumbs down that leaves the people clicking oblivious of what it applies to.

is this a general remark against emojis or would you mind explaining why a thumbs down is different from a thumbs up in this respect?

2 Likes

There’s already a thumbs down request topic

3 Likes

At least in the desktop version, you can easily view the people who reacted with emojis (on the left) by hovering your mouse over them. As for likes specifically, if you click on the three-dot button (“show more”), the content will expand, revealing the individuals who liked it.

2 Likes

At least in the desktop version, you can easily view the people who reacted with emojis (on the left) by hovering your mouse over them. As for likes specifically, if you click on the three-dot button (“show more”), the content will expand, revealing the individuals who liked it.

it also works on mobile, tap on the icons and they will expand

1 Like

In Firefox on Android, the thumbs-up symbol is set when I scroll through a topic with my finger. A selection of the icons as with the desktop computer with the mouseover does not show up. This is a bug in the forum software.

I know that with the thumbs up symbol, by touching and circular swiping, the other symbols appear for selection.

I would be hesitant about removing this feature. It may not add value for you, but reactions are part of the default way Discourse works. The pros of keeping reactions allow people to express themselves without them needing to post an entire message. The problem in your example is someone reacted with “angry”, but they don’t seem to have any other posts.

The possibility someone might use this reaction seems more like a symptom of OSM. Discussions surrounding vandalism and “odd edits” sometimes feel confrontational because usually the person making the unwanted edits is either malicious or does so unwittingly. The vast majority of reactions are usually positive.

The vast majority of reactions are usually positive.

easy as there aren’t negative reactions available :joy: