Could we have a :thumbs_down: reaction?

Continuing the discussione from Could we have a emoji :thumps up: as reaction?:

the above discussion being closed, I propose a new thread.

I’ve occasionally seen scores of :+1: collected by strongly critical (and in my opinion questionable) posts, with few options to disagree:

• post a reply and expose yourself to the above mentioned scores of up-voters.
  • show your disappointment :frowning_face: (which is arguably other than disagreeing).
  • show your anger :angry: (which is not a constructive reaction at all IMO.)

could we just let people disagree :-1: where they are allowed to agree :+1:?

11 Likes

When can we expect a reaction to this request? Thanks.
(@forums-governance I think)

1 Like

I’m nothing to do with the administration of the site and certainly not part of the forums governance team, but based on what has been said previously:

• A “thumbs down” reaction has been widely discussed as being essential before the Help site is migrated from OSQA to here.
  • The help site isn’t going anywhere until the old forum has been migrated from FluxBB to here (there are numerous discussions on the progress with that elsewhere).
  • The admins have been quite busy recently dealing with issues caused by the upgrade to Discourse 3.0

There’s actually a “solution” to this question here, but essentially that says “we’ll look at this when move on to supporting help.osm.org functionality”, which seems like a sensible approach to me.

4 Likes

That is surely the only sensible solution to the problem of sorting replies to help and support questions by up and down votes.

Being able to provide a “thumbs down” reaction is a slightly broader topic, as it is about being able to provide a :-1: reaction to any post, not just downvote a support reply. Being able to downvote a support reply is obviously necessary if we want to sort by the algebraic sum of +1 (:+1:) and -1 (:-1:) votes.

Hopefully admins will find time for looking into this once solved the mentioned upgrade.

1 Like