Discussion: State of the Map Asia 2023

Update as of 10 May:

State of the Map Asia 2023 / Call for venues Open!!!
Please use this thread: State of the Map Asia 2023 Call for Venues now open! if you are interested to apply and have any questions / clarifications :smiley:

Key dates

• Submit your proposal by: 31 May 2023
  • Announcement of venue: on or before 14 June 2023

Criteria and submission of bid via: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/.../State.../Call_for_venues

Update as of 6 May:

OSM community in Asia convened for SotM Asia 2023 kickoff meeting. Notes here and will be documented in the OSM Wiki. In the meantime, these are the actions items:

• Arnalie / Benedicta - Documentation in OSM Wiki (e.g. State of the Map Asia 2023/Planning and Lessons Learned
  • Arnalie to coordinate criteria team and meeting via FB messenger
  • Criteria team to modify and finalize criteria and community bidding page
  • Finalise review committee before 31 May @everyone to ask community who will represent their country (1-2 reps - please take note of gender diversity)

Update as of 27 April:

We will have kick off meeting for SotM 2023. Please see OSM Cal for details: SotM Asia 2023 Meeting Kickoff | OpenStreetMap Calendar

Update as of 21 April 2023:

We will follow a formal community bidding as we did before. More information soon! :slight_smile:

Hi community members from and in Asia!

We are opening this to have wider discussion with the community re State of the Map Asia 2023. Please comment your ideas on this thread. We hope to come up with a decision on or before 21 April.

Background on previous discussions:

A. November 2022:

Last SotM 2022 in the Philippines, a couple of us had in-person discussion regarding approaches as well as the pros and cons of having SotM Asia. Notes here.

Some approaches that were shared during the in-person discussion:

1. One central SotM Asia 2023 with community bidding

2. Have satellite / consecutive events per country to have wider participation and more accessibility

3. Partner with an international/regional event that is also having an event in Asia Eg Wikimania 2023 (August in Singapore) / might be too late

4. 1 national + 1 regional events (like the approach in SotM 2022)

5. To take turn with FOSS4G Asia which happens every 2years - which means SotM Asia will be next year as FOSS4G Asia will be this year

B. Early this year:

We also have started some conversations via Messenger chat. Some communities i.e. Thailand and Sri Lanka have expressed their interest to host SotM Asia 2023. With this, most of the people in the group are agreeing with Approach #1 (One central SotM Asia 2023 with community bidding).

Please comment your ideas on this thread. We hope to come up with a decision on or before 21 April. Thank you!omm

8 Likes

Hi All,
I would prefer all mentioned approaches in the order of 1, 4, 5 and 2.
Regional SotM conference is very important for all countries because that helps to develop regional level collaboration for humanitarian work. Apart from that, I would suggest the below points

1. One central SotM Asia conference (I’m fine with Ben’s idea also). That is most important thing.
  2. Proposed SotM Asia Executive committee (at least two nominated persons from each Asian country). It helps to empower the regional conference (Eg. Asian Conference on Remote Sensing (ACRS).
  3. Promote national (local) level SotM (approach 4) annually through local universities based on some criteria such as Disaster Management, Climate change, Health and other sectors. This will be a two- or three-days event including hybrid mode.
  4. Regional event can be planned every other year except FOSS4G event.
    Personally, I believe that Sri Lanka might be able to do this event in 2024 or 2025.

Thank you,
Anuradha

1 Like

Thank for your ideas, Anuradha! I think we can discuss your other points in parallel with the approach for 2023. Please feel free to start a thread and add the tag #asia.

We hope to have a decision re approach by end of the week so we can start!

1 Like

Update as of 21 April 2023:

We will follow a formal community bidding as we did before. More information soon! :slight_smile:

I agree with Anuradha statement.

Update as of 27 April:

We will have kick off meeting for SotM 2023. Please see OSM Cal for details: SotM Asia 2023 Meeting Kickoff | OpenStreetMap Calendar

1 Like

Update as of 10 May:

State of the Map Asia 2023 / Call for venues Open!!!
Please use this thread: State of the Map Asia 2023 Call for Venues now open! if you are interested to apply and have any questions / clarifications :smiley:

Key dates

• Submit your proposal by: 31 May 2023
  • Announcement of venue: on or before 14 June 2023

Criteria and submission of bid via: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/.../State.../Call_for_venues

1 Like

Please continue the discussion on State of the Map Asia at the following thread, as this one will be permanently closed: