Define what is measured for maxwidth:physical when mapping bollards

I’m hoping for an agreed set of guidelines that could be added to the maxwidth:physical and / or barrier=bollard wiki entries which would make it easier to know what to measure, perhaps with why?

I have found very useful discussions on using access tags with bollards February 2024 and December 2023

See also StreetComplete Issue 5783

I’m interested in routing for vehicles such as;

• Pram 57cm wide
  • Wheelchairs - 60cm wide?
  • Mobility scooter - 60cm wide
  • Friends electric wheelchair - 72cm wide
  • Recumbent trike - 80cm
  • cycle towing a child trailer
  • pushchair for two children

I have mapped the gap between bollards, or around a bollard, and there are some common problems which I try to avoid when choosing which gap to measure, as all of these vehicles would have difficulty in negotiating any gap which involves;

• a high kerb, or
  • ground which has a steep sideways slope, or
  • ground which always has extremely deep & muddy conditions (small wheels would get stuck), or
  • such dense undergrowth that it effectively blocks part of the route
2 Likes

I see your point and I think a photo of a case where the physical maxwidth is larger than what can be used by the vehicles you list could help the discussion.

A list with the width of vehicles can be already put on the Wiki I think.

I am not sure how often it is the case that the physical maxwidth is larger than what can be used by the vehicles you list but if it is substantial I think a separate maxwidth:vehicle or something could be an option.

Thank you for the comment - these bollards are fairly near me - I added the second photo to try to add perspective

Taginfo for barrier=bollard with a maxwidth:physical tag shows 916 instances, and a search on overpass turbo for a measurement of less than 80cm results in 14 instances in Central Europe.

Overpass Turbo search used

/*
    Searches the visible map area for bollards with a maxwidth:physical
    dimension of less than 80cm
    */
    [out:json][timeout:25];
    // gather results
    nwr["barrier"="bollard"]["maxwidth:physical"~"0.[0-7]"]({{bbox}});
    // print results
    out geom;

I can be wrong but the photo you shared it looks to me the physical width is the same as the maximum width for a vehicle that can pass. The ground here can be an obstacle for small wheels but for that there is the surface key.

1 Like

I measured the larger gap to be 52cm - maxwidth:physical tag added.

The first can be tagged with surface=* (material of the surface), smoothness=* (roughness of the surface) and track_type=* (softness of the surface).

For the second, you may tag it with overgrown=yes/...

1 Like

Thank you - I’m now thinking that the wiki entry for maxwidth:physical doesn’t need anything added to it - I’d be interested in any other suggestions though.

For the second, you may tag it with overgrown=yes/...

never heard of this, 263 uses currently: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/overgrown#overview

There is also obstacle=vegetation which is used 5400 times, which might be applicable

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/obstacle=vegetation#overview

1 Like

The question is - what to tag when there are several different widths (left / right of the bollard, in-between the bollards if there are several or if there are other obstacles)?
If that question can be answered with “the greatest of these”, then especially for barrier=block the question remains what would be the usable max width for paths without a clear delimitation - e.g. a block in the center of a forest path or similar.

The question is - what to tag when there are several different widths (left / right of the bollard, in-between the bollards if there are several or if there are other obstacles)?

maxwidth:physical means you only tag the widest width

1 Like

I have wondered about this many times, and I don’t map maxwidth:physical for these at all :person_shrugging:t2:

The maximum width of a vehicle or other object (pram, pushchair, wheelbarrow…) that is physically able to pass the barrier?

For your boulder blocking a dirt path in the forest, if the path just has moss growing on either side of it and you can just walk around it, then you are not really being blocked. But presumably there are trees or dense undergrowth somewhere nearby, so the boulder is blocking something from using the path, so the distance between the trees and boulder could be measured.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s really hard to say where the blocking stops, and usually, it’s got more space than a regular vehicle needs. There’s also boulders limiting the height:

The OSM world isn’t black and white :roll_eyes: