Dedicated key for a name for wayfinding

Continuing the discussion from Multiple delimited names in the name tag:

I’m starting a separate topic, because a name that depends on how it’s being used is related but orthogonal to a name that depends on who is using it.

In your example, where you were following directions toward a specific signposted city, it sounds like sprinkling destination=* along the itinerary might be more useful than fiddling with the city’s name tags.

But directions very often need to refer to a road by name or number rather than a destination place name. Sometimes the name or number is posted more than prominently enough along the road to go in name=* or ref=*, but not on “trailblazer” signs that would help you find the road in the first place. Some examples:

I’m intrigued by the possibility of an optional “name for wayfinding” key that can accompany the “common name” in name=* when the two diverge and neither name:signed=no nor unsigned_ref=* accurately describes the situation. Similar ideas have come up in the past for a name for addressing. These keys needn’t co-opt name=* any more than a name:left and name:right, but they can add clarity for the data consumers that are prepared for it.

To be sure, such a sign-oriented name would not be immune to the possibility of multiple equally valid values. Pop quiz: is this street in Cincinnati called “Eighth Street East”, “East Eighth Street”, or just “8”? At some point, “map the signs” (and sculpture) is not an entirely flippant retort.

If I understand what you’re getting at correctly, I saw a question about a similar concept a while back on a camping forum.

Somebody asked about navigation routers that would let you go from Town A, through B, C & D, to get to E.

You can set B, C & D as waypoints, but if you don’t touch that exact point (town hall, the exact spot of the node etc) it won’t recognise that you’re there, so will keep telling you to make a u-turn & go back :frowning:

Oh, I was commenting on something much more mundane – how to name a feature if “everyone knows” it’s called one thing, but someone who’s never been there before sees different signs for it as they approach it.

You’re right that it’d be pretty cool if a navigation application could recognize that the destination is a very broad feature like an airport or city. Then it could send you to a more reasonable point or be more lenient about deciding when you’ve arrived. But this is unrelated to how the feature is named in the turn-by-turn navigation instructions.

1 Like

If you are doing that type of routing you need to look at the map and place waypoints carefully otherwise a router is likely to send you on a couple of laps of the oneway system

That was exactly the problem :disappointed_relieved: :thinking: