Could we have a emoji :thumps up: as reaction?

That makes more sense.

However this was done via web, but the original was via email. No-one has reacted to that. Can someone try to :heart: react to it to check?

I’m not talking about that.

Yes I can (and just did) react to that.

1 Like

It is quite a long post but what is the status? We had a meeting with Dutch mappers and they would also like a thumps up emoticon as reaction instead of a heart. It is more neutral then a heart (it might be interpreted wrong).

1 Like

There’s been no further experimentation with this one, since the conversation end up more focused on the thumbs_down reaction.

There is plan to experiment enabling the thumbs_down reaction once there is more volume and communities in the forums, maybe thumbs_up can be also be tested at that time too, to understand if people prefers it.

1 Like

Regardless of what it looks like, “vote up” and “vote down” are key requirements for migrating the help site here.

Replacing the “heart” icon currently used for “vote up” with a “thumbs up” would also help prevent people getting the wrong idea about what “heart” might mean, but that’s secondary to providing the basic functionality needed for “help”.

2 Likes

Being able to vote answers will be tackled as part of the Help OSM transition work:

:+1:

I have noted that the “thumbs up” icon is now available in the short list of icons available to like or dislike any comment but if you click it it still converts into a “heart” shown below the comment.

So still remains to replace the “heart” icon below the comment with the “thumbs up” icon (if possible at all) as that is what many of us would like as far as I can see.

4 Likes

@Firefishy was trying to make the icon right since it was returning some display errors.

I think that the angry looking emoji :angry: will suffice

1 Like

Just because you don’t like an idea does not mean you are angry :dotted_line_face:

3 Likes

I know, but giving a thumb down without explaining why you disagree with an idea is pretty useless, so one would have to give a full explanation in a reply anyway.

1 Like

Would this reasoning not equally apply to the giving of a thumbs-up?

Not necessarily. Giving a thumb up you agree, but if you agree you don’t have to explain why. If you disagree there should be an explanation: if you disagree on the content, on the wording, etc. To be clear, this is the explanation I’ve always given myself to why the forums generally do not have a “Thumb down” emoji.

2 Likes

:+1:

:-1:

Thumbs up as well as thumbs down are both useful tools to make visible in the simplest way whether a majority of users support or reject a proposal/comment/idea etc. In the old forum this is frequently done by simply posting “+1” or “-1” and both allow an additional comment but do not require such as a basic pricipal.

1 Like

Thumbs up and thumbs down (agree/disagree) are something different than “I like” and “I’m angry”.
They are more neutral and better suited in a technical environment.

A thumbs down does not prevent you from explaining why. Anyway I do agree that It should always be done in order to get constructive discussions.

3 Likes

Das like kann das bisher gewohnte +1 ersetzen. Manchmal möchte man aber etwas mit 1-2 Worten ausdrĂŒcken, was kurz und prĂ€gnant ist, aber mehr sagt als +1 oder ein image. Nur like zu klicken ist sehr unpersönlich und fördert auch nicht gerade eine gute Kommunikation. Zudem fehlt dann auch ein dislike und weitere Optionen. Aber ich will eigentlich auch kein Facebook. Deshalb befĂŒrworte ich eine deutlich niedrigere Einstellung.

2 Likes

Message reaction “+1” (upper left corner) does not work: It gives a like :heart:, which I consider as something different than agreement.

1 Like

Indeed. This was discussed a bit previously at https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/could-we-have-a-emoji-thumps-up-as-reaction/708/11, and of course proper vote up / vote down options are a prerequisite for moving the help site content here, which I think is is waiting for someone to finsh developing something externally.

1 Like

Hallo @nukeador,

ich bin dem Verschieben meines Beitrages

aus

hierher in diesen Thread nicht einverstanden.

Ich weiß, dass (automatische) Übersetzungen schwieriger zu verstehen sind, aber mein Beitrag gehört nicht hierher, weil:

sondern eine kĂŒrzere oder keine “minimum post length”:

Sorry I moved your message and the replies because the conversation was no longer talking about post length and it was focused on the +1 reaction, where we already had this topic.

Discourse doesn’t allow to split a message and move, so I considered that it was better to move them all. The original topic has a link notifying of some messages being moved here.

1 Like