BR-230 Classification

Hey I am a UK user, I feel the like the BR-230 from Itaituba to Humaita should be trunk?
If you disagree tell me why!

A malha de rodovias trunk no Brasil foi classificada conforme discussões em Votação da proposta Trunk para 5 rodovias federais / users: Brazil / OpenStreetMap Forum e votação em Proposta Top 05 BR + 1 - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Favor avaliar se a BR-230 se enquadra nos critérios definidos e, em caso positivo, avisar à comunidade brasileira.

Smh, I asked for others opinions, not for some links.

1 Like

I am not an expert on road classification, but someone who is said this:

"The Brazilian community has shown itself (or has shown itself in the recent past) not to be sympathetic to having unpaved HPRs, even more so a trunk. According to the new rule, it cannot be a trunk because it is not paved, nor could it be a primary, for the same reason, although some exceptional roads were mapped as primary even though they were not paved. I personally understand this foreigner’s point of view and am not against this way of being trunk, although I do not endorse it.

It is known, however, that traveling on this highway is an adventure with quagmires everywhere."

The current road classification in Brazil (largely discussed and approved) states that this road is indeed secondary. You can find more here.

Given this classification was widely discussed, I also think this should stay as secondary (especially knowing how bad is this road), although I understand the frustration a secondary large like this.

1 Like

The rules agreed upon by the Brazilian community in 2020 limit it to secondary because it is not paved. If it was paved, it would initially be secondary because the two urban poles are very far apart (and the proposal includes a distance criterion to avoid having to initially assess the main routes between all city pairs), but could later be promoted to trunk if proposed.

In some countries, such as neighboring Bolivia or distant parts of Russia, the local community accepts assigning a higher road class to important regional roads with an underdeveloped structure. In other countries, such as those in Western Europe, the local community is firmly against it. In Brazil, we kind of agreed on a middle ground, leaving the door open for the discussion of specific cases, like this one. The region where this road appears has too few mappers to discuss specific cases with feedback from multiple people though.

In 2020, the highway classification of the UK was cited several times in the discussion of the proposal, as we found that it served as the basis for the highway classification of many other countries, but the most cited aspect was the continuity of the routes even when the physical structure changed, a strong argument against the Brazilian 2013 proposal that relied entirely on the physical structure and led to fragmented road networks across the country. Since 2020, Carto has began representing unpaved primary roads, so maybe it’s worth debating whether our current rule isn’t a little too restrictive.