Announcement: OpenAirportMap

But it has a ICAO code and is an area.

1 Like

I found the bug and fixed it, thanks for the hint!

1 Like

The OpenAirportMap now shows additional information. Just click on the button with the arrow on the upper right corner.

1 Like

OpenAirportMap now shows also data of airports that are mapped only as a node.

Concerning airport codes: There are more airports that have an ICAO code (in the US just add a “K” in front of the FAA code) than there are airports with an IATA code. IATA codes are used on the busier ones where there’s airline traffic.

ICAO codes are usually used by pilots, IATA codes are used by passengers and people who are working at airports, transport companies and the like.

Meanwhile the OpenAirportMap also supports searching for IATA codes and also names.

2 Likes

Hey @dktue I will have you know that I remember vaguely from an airport editing project that many of the rural/recreational/smaller airports in Colombia are erroneous. There was an import from a website in 2012 that hadn’t been updated since 2008 or 2009. Any airport map of Colombia will need a thorough review. Just giving you a heads up if your project is meant to have thorough-worldwide coverage.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint! Was there a single changeset for that import? Is there a way to tag all those airports with fixme or an other tag that OpenAirportMap could detect and display a warning to the user?

I’ll take a look tonight or tomorrow to determine which source the editor used for the import. Most of the time these rural airports that don’t exist were tagged on a node, or a simple aeroway=runway line segment. I’ll figure out the resources, come up with a decent query and then you could go in and remove them yourself using JOSM.

1 Like

I’ll figure out the resources, come up with a decent query and then you could go in and remove them yourself using JOSM.

maybe most of these airports exist if they haven’t been deleted in the past 11 years, or is there so few activity that they could have remained in significant numbers? An automatic edit should definitely be discussed with the local contributors beforehand.

1 Like

I wouldn’t make that assumption. Near me we have people (well, one rather keen person) “maintaining” airfields that are basically a farmers field that was used for some sport aviation a dozen or so years ago. An example of this sort of thing is https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7280208669 which I suspect was copied from here - and the the (Google Maps!) images there suggest no aviation use since 2010 or so. If it still exists, that one may be verifiable from the footpath to the southwest, but verifying rubbish imports like this is subject to the usual problem.

Hello @dktue Here is a simple query that gives me all the id’s of aeroway=aerodrome on nodes. It spit out some 800 results for me. I will tell you that not all of these are wrong, just many of them so it is much preferable that you verify one by one as opposed to an automated edit. You can use the download object function in JOSM to go straight to the id. The query can be altered to search for closed ways instead. When I am less tired I might post that version of the query tomorrow if someone else does not (It is 1:30 am for me as I write this). I am aware that the query was slapped together, but hey, it works.

I identified the bad source: https://ourairports.com/

Most of the questionable aerodrome nodes have the source = ourairports.com tag value.
Another user also added a fix-me note to many of them, hinting in Spanish that the direct import for this airport data was not done properly:

Revisar: este punto fue creado por importación directa

That user is @Manchito

Query:

{{geocodeArea: Colombia}}->.ca;
node(area.ca)[~“aeroway”~“aerodrome”];
out ids;

Here is a small selection of aerodrome nodes as an example:
node 1042075832
node 1042075669
node 1042074861
node 1042074640
node 1042074419
node 703517949

1 Like

As OpenAirportMap currently only shows airports with ICAO code the number of airports to look at in Columbia reduces to 22.

aeroway=aerodrome and icao=* and type:node in Columbia

That is much more manageable. It is likely those 22 are all legitimate. I wish you the best with this project.

2 Likes

This improvement is implemented now.

2 Likes

Another thing to consider is when you have to airport polygons next to each other that have the same identifier, that may be because one portion is reserved for the military while the other part of the runway facilities is for civilian activities. Something I saw multiple times when mapping airports.

1 Like

I think it even if there’s a civilian part and a military part of and airport it’s still one airport and should be mapped as one feature in OSM. Any opinions on this?

I look at a situation like this and I think It is necessary in part to map the military portion separately in order to apply more restrictive access tags preventing entrance into the military facilities, for both civilian airport workers and the general public.

They should always be in the end, part of the same airport relation at least.

| dktue
February 18 |

• | - |

I think it even if there’s a civilian part and a military part of and airport it’s still one airport and should be mapped as one feature in OSM. Any opinions on this?

I think we could distinguish between military and commercial and general aviation and also joint use. According to the situation the 2 airports could be a military airport aside a civilian airport, or one airport for both uses.