Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I put a request for the same area and downloaded the map but the same error happens (kind of thought it would but I gave it a go anyway)
I’ll try again when a newer version of the area is available.

The link I downloaded from is http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/03-02-2010/c03ab2e075c79b73cd44114417e1d915/ and is available for 48hrs

Hey Lambertus,

what a great new feature to download the requested tiles for a country as filelist or combined gmapsupp.img immediately without a request via e-mail!!!

Great!!!

And also the countries in alphabetic order, fine!

Keep up your excellent work and thank you very much,

flux.

I downloaded a new rendering from http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/10-02-2010/c7c509421d7f5857cab8f39a6c0cea12/ based on OSM data from 10-02-2010

Unfortunately the error still occurs. MapInstall gives the same error “Alert. There is a problem with the OSM World Routable installation. Please re-install OSM World Routable and start MapInstall again” and then crashes.

mkg mapversion:1568
Requested tiles:63240558.img, 63240559.img, 63240562.img, 63240563.img

The curious thing is that the older map based on OSM data from 20-01-2010 works fine with MapInstall.

I came across http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gmapibuilder#Caveats . It says that errors like mine can and do happen. It gives instructions for a terminal.app fix to clear MapInstaller. It says “open up a Terminal.app and execute”.

My question is how do you “execute” in terminal.app?

You open the Terminal apprication, and type the two lines mentioned (“rm ~/…”).

The Terminal app can be found in the /Applications/Utilities folder) I think :slight_smile: )

-peter

This is a terrible description for telling to remove two files and instructions for how to do that.

rm is a “remove file” command. To execute it you open a terminal window and then type,

My opinion is that he could better have said to remove two files.

Not only that, surely it can be done from a normal “finder” window as well. More people are probably familiar with that…

-peter

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am after coming across a warning in a book (Mac OS X Leopard for Dummies!). It says
“You can wreck havoc upon your poor operating system with Terminal. You can harm your Leopard in many ways that just aren’t possible using windows and icons and clicks. Before you type a single command think seriously about what I said. And if you’re not 100% certain about the command you’ve just typed, don’t even think about pressing return or Enter”

I am a bit of a mac noob and a total Terminal noob… so with that warning seared in my mind I think I will hold off messing with Terminal for a while…

Thanks for your responses, though. Cheers

there appears to be a bug in the “France” preset.
it’s missing the tile containing “Le Mans”

Not only that one. If you select Europe | france then about five tiles are not selected. Add them manually (by first checking “enable manual tile selection”).

The problem has been discussed before in this thread. The reason for the missing tiles is the polygon file used for france which is not describing the boundary as matchit likes it to be done.

Everyone could contribute here by providing a good country polygon in .gpx or .poly format describing the boundary.

Lambertus,

All my OSM maps in Roadtrip and on my Garmin Colorado 300 have a blue dot POI in the middle of every road.
The whole map looks like a martian with chicken pox…

From what I have found, the option
–road-name-pois= 0x2f15 (or a different code)
does this to allow searching roads. Did you turn this on recently (in the last week or two)?

It’s not needed to use Terminal to do that.
Open a Finder window and delete ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/MapInstall/lastSelected.gdb. No need to delete the .plist.

I noticed this crash about a year ago and posted over in forums.Garmin.com but they were clueless.

Actually, I was finally able to reproduce your problem today. I received the same error about the damaged map installation and the crash of MapInstall. I believe this occurred because I had just re-installed a re-compiled version of a map. This was the same map which I had previously selected and sent to my GPS device, only this time, the map had fewer tiles than before. Since MapInstall attempts to save the last selected tiles between runs, I think it tried to select a now non-existent tile, causing the error.

At any rate, to solve the problem you don’t have to use Terminal, and you don’t have to delete anything. Just do the following:

• Make sure MapInstall is not running.

• Open the following folder: /Library/Application Support/Garmin

• Rename the folder “MapInstall” to “MapInstall.old” (or rename it to “MapInstall.2” or something similar).

• Restart MapInstall. You should now be able to reselect and transfer your map tiles without error.

(The folder which you renamed contains a file which saves your last-selected tiles. When the MapInstall program cannot find the folder named “MapInstall”, it creates a new folder with an empty selection file.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Why not just delete it instead of renaming it? If not, you’ll just have a useless old folder laying around.
Renaming a folder is good practice if you are troubleshooting and may want to put the old folder back if it’s not the problem.
But it is the problem, so…

I find it also good practice if you are not sure what you are doing. The original poster mentioned this, and mentioned that they were nervous about deleting files which they did not know about.

I therefore often recommend this approach in instructions to others, as it is non-destructive. If the person following the instructions misunderstands something and renames an incorrect file, then there is no harm done: they can simply revert the change. On the other hand, if they delete an incorrect file and empty the trash, they will have to hope that they have a good backup.

On modern OSes a few extra folders lying around will make no significant difference, neither to performance nor to disk usage. :wink:

Cheers.

Clinton Gladstone, you are a star! That fixed it. Thank you.
That has made my day :slight_smile:

For a while I thought that was it, no more up-to-date routable maps for my GPS. Thank you again.

I feel like a real whinge-bag, but I’m now suffering from the same issue as Chris CA “martian with chicken pox” map (sorry!)

The country definitions for the presets are not optimal yet. There are a few other countries with the same problem. Should fix in the coming weeks.

Yes, that was turned on for this update, but only using the “–road-name-pois” option. I’ll see if there is a POI code that doesn’t show up (prominently) on the map.

Lambertus:

I am a grateful user of your map tiles. Stopped using the installer in favor of compiling the .img files into my own index files. Works fine using mkgmap. However, I’ve got a question. I’d like to be able to selectively replace individual tiles as I add map features to OSM. If I download a tile on date X, then on date Y (3 months in the future), I download a fresh copy and the tile number is the same am I asured that I will have a compiled map with no gaps or overlap? If there is overlap how will I know it? I’d prefer not to opverburden your servers by asking for the entire collection I am maintaining, which covers 6 states in the US and exceeds the tile count limit.

The tiles will/may vary per site update. You can check if a tile has changed by just remembering the area it covered. But better by watching the world.kml file (under the link “template file”). Save it and download again for a new update. Compare the coordinates for a tilenumber. (Just open the files in wordpad or notepad or any texteditor or what else).

When is the next update planned? I have been working on some changes in the OSM data and want to see if they worked or not.