Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks guys, I didn’t think to try just clicking OK :roll_eyes:.

I’m sure that would have worked, however, I thought about it over lunch and decided it was just a problem with the installer too. So what I did was to rename the registry key at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\OSM generic routable

as

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\OSM GR UK

then the installer worked fine.

Here is the code, anyone who can do a good suggestion please let me know
https://github.com/openstreetmap/mkgmap/blob/master/resources/installer/installer_template.nsi

Please advise. Sorry if you need to explain this over and over again to novices like me.
I have just downloaded some European maps with the installer for Windows. The installer apparently unzipped itself into a bunch of IMG files. I have no idea what to do with them next to make them work. My Garmin Nuvi has a micro SD card; I copied the files there into Garmin directory, but, not very surprisingly, it was not sufficient to show the maps. Now I’m stuck. Is there some instruction on how to make these maps work? Could you please point to it?
Thanks.

See http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html
The imgs that you have installed are not intended to put on your gps, look for a separate gmapsupp img that is listed in the download links that you have received in your mail.

Thank you very much. Indeed, I overlooked that gmapsupp file in the download. Now I see the difference - streets and POI became available in the area I am going to visit. I assume that I don’t need to do anything more, and my GPS will be able to navigate using those maps when I arrive to the place.
One more question if you don’t mind. If I want to add more tiles to the map I have, should I start over and pick the new tiles, as well as the old ones, and download all of them, or is there a smarter way? I don’t care too much about my time, but I want to avoid extra load on OSM server if possible.
Thanks again.

Yes if you want to add new tiles the usual way is to do a new request. There is another way but this involves a merging of tiles with mkgmap, which can be done automatically with Javawa OSM Combiner, but this can only done if the map tiles that you already have are from the same date as the new ones that you want to add. Javawa’s combiner is meant for combining large mapsets ( > 2 Gb) http://www.javawa.nl/osmcombiner_en.html

OK; thank you. I’ll request it again then - for multiple countries this time.

Bounding Box or Polygon Box

Hi, it is possible to get the bounding box (if the map is a rectangle) or a polygon box (if the map is not rectangular) from the map I downloaded from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ ? I need the coordinates to create contour-elevation lines for the aera I downloaded.

Many thanks for any help

JM

You don’t have to copy tile sizes, you can create independent overlay with contours, using other subdivisions, which fit this map.
If you’d like to check tiles area, you can use GMapTool to show bounding box of an img file, use button “Details” on “Files” tab.

I am wondering why there is no updated map for Thailand since 12/17/13. Is there some sort of problem?

Many thanks for all the good work you do.

Happy New Year.

Best wishes for the New Year too.
I guess the busy Xmas days were causing the delay? There are some improvements made in mkgmap, see http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/news/2013/12/22/more-flexibility-in-style-files-style and I hope it didnt cause technical problems with updating the maps Lambertus? The style files are now compatible with the latest mkgmap release. Make sure that the --ignore-maxspeeds option is superfluous and must be removed.

Happy new year everyone!

I’m afraid the ‘ignore-maxspeeds’ did indeed cause problems, the update was running longer then expected and a look at the logs revealed this issue. A new update is started and will take 2 to 3 days to complete.

Okay, thanks for the information. I’ll check back in a few days.

Hi,

I noticed a minor issue when selecting multiple maps by means of selecting a corner and dragging the mouse. When I do this across the 180th meridian then it selects all longitudes between the selected latitudes.

Best regards and a happy new year

I have been using your Generic Routable (testing new style) maps on my Garmin Montana GPS for quite a while and except for some small rendering quirks are fantastic. Here in Thailand we’re experiencing quite a run of “mapping for the renderer” issues because certain POIs no not render appropriately in Garmin Basecamp or on Garmin GPS units. People either object to the particular tag being used because its rendering doesn’t suit them while in some cases, POIs are not rendered with any symbol at all.

Examples: Some tower structures that are definitely not communication towers get an icon that resembles a “radio tower”. We have started tagging certain tower structures as stupas when they are associated with buddhist temples or wats in our area. The stupa is part of the man_made=tower, tower:type=* tag set. The radio tower icon is not really appropriate. Also, wats render only as a dot on my maps at all zoom levels. Wats are very prominent features in Thailand and are also numerous. It would be nice if they were rendered in a more meaningful way.

As a total novice as regards map symbols and their incorporation into maps, I’m wondering how I should approach this problem. Is it something you can do here either by modifying your style sheets or your TYP files, or is it something we can, or should, do on our own? Is it a Garmin problem?

Thanks in advance…

Dave

You can find the style sheet here:
http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/trunk/styles/world/points

(man_made=tower & tower:type!=communication) |man_made=chimney [0x6411 resolution 24]

As you can see communication towers are filtered out and not rendered at all.
It depends on your unit how Garmin renders 0x6411, in Mapsource they don’t have an icon and are rendered as a small blue default poi dot.
You can modify the 2000.typ file with a typ file editor like typviewer to make a more appropriate icon for this.
What are “wats” (osm tag?)

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that in OSM wats are assigned amenity=place_of_worship. And also, it is OSM that renders the stupas as radio towers. My apologies on that too.

But let me pursue this topic a bit further. I’m using the (new style) routable maps and those do not show any TYP file included in the installer package when I look at it with 7-Zip. Yet it is in the folder after installation. Where does it come from?

If there is indeed a built in TYP file (2000.typ), and it only appears after I run the installation, then how do I edit it so both Basecamp and my GPS can use the same symbols? Will Basecamp reload the edited TYP file on it’s own or do I somehow force it to recompile the map set?

If I ever get to the point where I can edit the TYP file, I must then edit it so that tower:type appears. To do that I must
a) modify the line: man_made=tower & tower:type!=communication to: man_made=tower & tower:type=communication [0x??? resolution 24]
b) add a similar line that deals with tower:type=stupa [0x??? resolution 24]
c) add a similar line that deals with place_of_worship [0x??? resolution 24]

Is that correct?

Thanks very much for all your help.

amenity=place_of_worship isn’t rendered on Mapsource or Basecamp with a specific icon (default blue dot) because you have many types, a cross will not suit mosks or wats :wink:

The typ file is built in in the file “gmapsupp.img” that you put on your device. Only if you install the pc version for Basecamp you can edit this typ file.
Only after you have sent the mapset from Basecamp (with Mapinstall) to your GPS you can see the edited version.

There are some programms that can update the typ file in the gmapsupp.img (gmaptool or javawa’s typchanger: http://www.javawa.nl/typchanger_en.html))

However, you are still depending on the style files. If tower:type=stupa isnt specified, you cant add it.
a) man_made=tower & tower:type!=communication means that we render all towers except tower:type=communication
b) we need to specify tower:type=stupa as a different garmin type with a specific symbol. If you can deliver a 1 colour bitmap in 25x25 pixels, I can add it to the style sheet and typ file.
c) same for amenity=place_of_worship (what’s the subtype tag for watts in osm?)
d) please post your desired map symbols and corresponding osm tags in this topic: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257

Okay, thanks, that explains why place_of_worship isn’t rendered. We wouldn’t want to offend those users that aren’t Christian, or Moslem, etc. The other tag that defines a wat (a wat is a buddhist temple) is religion=buddhist. OSM uses a wheel for the symbol. I will try to locate that one and supply it. I’ll also create a symbol for stupa and post that when I have it. Sorry to answer your reply with so many more questions but I need to ask why do you not render communication towers?

Also, I do not understand how changing the TYP file included in the already compiled gmappsupp.img will be visible inside Basecamp. Or do you mean I can change the TYP file in the install folder created by the Generic Routable New Style Windows installer, and then somehow resend that to Basecamp (and subsequently to my Garmin)??

place_of_worship is rendered, only not specified in sub categories of religion (christian, muslim etc).
Main problem is that Garmin only has a VERY limited range of poi types. For churches etc they only have two. Of course you can choose another garmin type that is free, but then you cant find it in the specific search category. So if you want to render a stupa, either you will not able to search for it anymore or it will show up as two different pois on top of each other. A trick that I use for my Openfietsmap is to use a transparent searchable poi for the main category and another one for the sub category. The OSM online map doesn’t have this limitation, they can render every symbol.

Communication towers clutter the map, every gsm antenna is mapped here in NL’s so we don’t render them, otherwise you cant find a “normal” tower through the woods of the antennas.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types or if you want to know more about the map details, download gpsmapedit from http://www.geopainting.com/ to view the underlying details in the img map tiles.

Yes, edit it, save it (restart basecamp, clear the cache with ctrl-G to make the changes visible) and resend the map with basecamp to your garmin.