Workshop about the use of SPW elevation data

Hello. I’ll be participating at a workshop about the utilisation of the digital elevation model from Wallonie, in May (the 23rd of May, to be confirmed). I’ll present a short topic about how this data (mainly hillshade) is used in the Belgian OSM community.

Here’s the abstract in French:

La communauté OpenStreetMap en Belgique est très active, et elle utilise abondamment les produits SPW du relief (hillshade) pour la cartographie, particulièrement dans les zones forestières. Que ce soit pour détecter des chemins ou des traces d’activités humaines en forêt, cette couche hillshade est en effet la meilleure source de données pour une cartographie de précision. Par ailleurs, ces produits ont été aussi dérivés en courbes de niveaux de précision. Combiné à des données de la région flamande, nous avons créé de belles courbes de niveaux, qui sont réutilisées dans un service de cartes de randonnées à imprimer à la demande. Ou comment des données en accès libre peuvent bénéficier à des cartographies amateurs.

If anyone has some stories to share… I’m thinking for instance of foxandpotatoes who is using a lot the hillshade for detecting historical human activities in the forests…

1 Like

Hello,

Je l’utilise ou vu utilisé pour

1 Like

I am also a user of hillshade imagery for roads and historical artifacts in forests both in Wallonia and Flanders. I do regularly get disappointed by the poor quality of the SPW hillshade. Perhaps you could inform SPW that the Flemish hillshade, which continues quite a bit into Walloon municipalities, gives better detailed images there than SPW’s. Compare for https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/50.77202/5.63342 “Digitaal Hoogtemodel Vlaanderen II,multidirectionale hillshade 0,25 m” and “Relief SPW(allonie)”.