Why is this so huge and why is it so hard to close it

The X button is barely visible…

7 Likes

It’s as huge as the introduction window whenever someone visits osm.org for the first time (the below screenshot is from incognito window).
But yes, the X isn’t that visible on that image due to the mixed 3-color background on that point.

1 Like

Oh, it has an “x”? I just assumed I was stuck with it.

1 Like
8 Likes

Because, like all “non-profit” foundations, the OSMF is after money.

It is rather after things that can be much more easily achieved when you have money.

4 Likes

The website has been updated to improve the contrast of the close icon against the background:

20 Likes

Here it was not, but many apps have in-app advertising if you choose to go for the free version and then make the X severely obfuscated and hard to hit so you still launch the link to the “we want your money” website.

Because, like all “non-profit” foundations, the OSMF is after money.

Sorry, but OSMF is no Wikimedia or Mozilla. We have real, core needs and are largely dependent on commercial donors which may or may not have a vision congruent with the rest of the OSM community (Overture Maps anyone?). And the employee count I think is merely 3 (Firefishy - SRE, Dorothea - administrative assistant, tyrasd - iD).

3 Likes

And the employee count I think is merely 3 (Firefishy - SRE, Dorothea - administrative assistant, tyrasd - iD).

Also Michelle Heydon (accountant). Just clarifying that there is only one employee - Grant (Firefishy) :slight_smile:
Martin (Tyrasd), Michelle and myself are contracted on a long-term basis.

I have created a page on the OSMF website about OSMF’s employees and contractors if anyone is interested.

16 Likes