What language should we use for the main tag name=* in Sri Lanka?

Hello everyone, after reading the OSM wiki about the name tag and comparing to the current state of the map, I am a bit confused about the language that we should use to map places in Sri Lanka.

According to the wiki, the main name tag value should correspond to the element (street sign etc…) in the considered region.

However, the current state of the map is that everything in the country seems to be romanized instead of being written in the local language i.e. Tamil for the North and Sinhalese for the South

What is the accepted rule/convention here ? Should we do as India apparently does i.e.
name=* in English due to the variety of regional languages ?

What is the accepted rule/convention here ? Should we do as India apparently does i.e.
name=* in English due to the variety of regional languages ?

this is something you should agree locally, the way it is currently done is eventually a hint what was agreed last time it was discussed. Some multilingual areas add multiple values in “name”, separated by “ - “ or “ / “, additionally to name:lang tags, others just use a single value in a language that is locally understood by most people, or in extreme cases the “name” is even left blank, it is something you locally have to agree upon.

Thanks for your response, it seems more clear to me now :smile: