What Java to upgrade to from 1.8.0_401?

Hello,

I don’t know much about Java, and JOSM is urging me to upgrade the 1.8.0_401 I have on my computer:

You are running version 1.8.0_401 of Java. JOSM will soon stop working with this version; we highly recommend you to update to Java 17.0.10

Apparently, there are different versions: What’s the simplest and lightest package just to run JOSM?

Thank you.

Edit:

At this point, I…

1. Removed Oracle Java 1.8.0_401 and JOSM

2. Unzipped zulu21.32.17-ca-jre21.0.2-win_x64.zip in a directory

3. Edited Windows’ system PATH so that it would find Zulu’s java.exe:
    c:>java --version
    openjdk 21.0.2 2024-01-16 LTS
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu21.32+17-CA (build 21.0.2+13-LTS)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu21.32+17-CA (build 21.0.2+13-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

4. Ran josm-setup.msi: Windows thinks it contains a virus

5. Ran josm-setup.exe: “Windows protected your PC” → “More infos” → ran it. It ran and just closed immediately, so I kept waiting, but it looks ilke it’s OK: It added two icons on the desktop: JOSM and JOSM HWConsole. Considering it’s an 80MB installer, it’s odd it would run so fast.

6. Double-clicked on JOSM: Looks OK. It doesn’t complain with Java, and displays this:

Thanks all.

Depends upon what you need/want.

If you want auto-updating, use one of the following methods:

• JNLP (install OpenWebStart)
    • You may need to uninstall Java 8 to get the jnlp file association working properly
  • brew (on macOS)
  • chocolatey, nuget, winget, or Windows Store (on Windows)

If you want to update yourself, but don’t want to worry about the Java version, use:

• msi or exe installer (on Windows)
  • app (on macOS)

If you really want to use the jar, we recommend Azul Java, but Temurin (OSS only) will work if you don’t use JavaFX plugins.

I’m using OpenJDK, it’s FOSS but I don’t know how lightweight it is compared to alternatives. I’ve never had issues running JOSM personally.