I would appreciate some points regarding the best approach to utilize for this requirements re OSM.
- used in a mobile device, with ability for offline usage
- what to show basic maps (e.g. like google’s standard road, terrain, satellite)
- download map tiles for the given location/resolution, enough to let you cover the screen, then download more when required as the position changes
- ability for user to selection a region (not too big) to download some maps for offline usage
- ability within the mobile app to layer other graphics on top, so need a way to map the co-ordinates of a given position on a given tile to a lat/long I guess, and vice-a-versa
For example for the above do I just need to use the HTTP method like “http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/7/63/42.png” to download the tiles. Reading the doco now but trying to find the reference API/doco so to speak that describes how to generate the URL you need for the map tile you want (i.e. a map tile for say, location X,Y, with resolution Z, and a terrain map say)