[Voting] Barber (hairdresser=barber)

Hi all,

The barbers proposal is now open to voting:

The main objections raised in the RFC were:

• We don’t have barbers in X location:
    It is clear that in some locations, the concept of a barbers does not exist or is not well understood. Whilst I do think we should try to make tags as understandable as possible to mappers, it seems that if the concept of a barbers doesn’t exist in X location, then it simply doesn’t need to be used in that location.

• male=yes is good enough
    Although document as access restrictions, male=* is not always used as such and is instead used as a more generic descriptor. However, I still believe explicit tagging is better than relying on gender tags.

• Use a different tagging scheme
    Some suggest using a different tagging scheme (e.g., barbers=yes/no/only). I understand the rationale and I don’t think there is a right or wrong way, however, we should chose one. I’ve kept with hairdresser=barber as this was the majority vote in the original discussion.

One (non-minor) change was made during the RFC:

• Semi-colon delimiter lists
    Although not strictly part of the proposal, tagging businesses that are both a hairdresser’s salon and a barbers was raised. The suggestion from the community discussion was to use semi-colon delimiter lists (e.g., hairdresser=salon; barber). I added this to the tagging section of the proposal.

Many thanks to all who contributed to the discussion!

Apologies for the delay, I’m pleased to say this proposal was was approved with 18 votes for, 4 votes against and 0 abstentions.

I have created a Wiki documentation page hairdresser=barber and also updated the documentation at shop=hairdresser to reflect this approved (sub-)tag.

4 Likes