Visualizing post history, likes and post versions

Is there a way to see previous versions of posts (in case they have been edited)? What about comments like likes, are they referring to a specific version? Imagine someone writes something you agree to, you add a like, and then they change their contribution to the opposite, will your like remain or will it be reset?

It’s possible it’s only visible to admins but when I go to a post like Getting ready to welcome support users and topics that has been edited there is an icon next to the post date/age at the top right which I can click to see the edit history.

I believe it would be better to have this visible for everyone by default, like in the wiki, but with a possibility for admins to hide certain versions (e.g. because they are against the guidelines, are spam or are otherwise problematic from a legal point of view).
Maybe the problem of user reactions (like etc.) referring to different versions than the current, could be solved by notifying the people that have reacted, when the post they have reacted to is modified, so that they can decide whether to keep their reaction or retract it.

1 Like

Are you saying it’s not visible to you? I was only speculating that it might be limited to admins…

We appear to have public history turned on already:

4 Likes

my bad, you are right I can see the edit history. What I cannot see is when a reaction was added, i.e. which version it applies to.

Hi @TomH,

Can we hide certain versions of edited postings?

If I as a moderator edit someone else’s posts, e.g. to remove insults or other illegal content, I would like to hide them. I would like to hide the versions myself instead to have to ask an admin for every individual moderative action.

If it is not possible to hide invidiual versions, please turn off edit history for the public. If users without special permissions have the suspicion that someone edited their posting, they can report it to the moderators for investigation. This has not been an issue on the old forum that much.

Legal safety as moderator is more important to me than public history for every user. And I have the feeling that some time in future, we will have again a user dragging us into legal trouble because he was blocked.

Best regards

Michael

How often are you finding yourself in this situation? Admins can delete versions of the edit history for you, but if this is a thing that needs to happen really often, maybe there is something else we need to think about.

Cheers.

It should be visible when someone has redacted contributions or deleted threads. Currently, it seems you have typed the wrong URL or something like this, rather there must be a notice that a thread has been deleted/hidden/modified by a mod or admin