Velopark - OpenStreetMap-synchronisation in Belgium

Hi all,

I was asked by Fietsberaad to create a tool to synchronize Velopark data with OpenStreetMap, which I started to work on.

Velopark.be is a data repository containing information about ~3000 bicycle parkings. All of this data is within Belgium with the majority in Flanders.

The approach for this project would be to create a tool based on MapComplete and MapRoullete which:

• shows both OSM-data and Velopark-data on the same map
  • Allows to ‘link’ a bicycle parking to a velopark entry by setting ‘ref:velopark=*’ on the bicycle parking
  • Then, when opening the popup of a linked bicycle parking, the attributes of the OSM-object and the velopark data can be compared. The contributor can choose to copy attributes into OSM.

Furhtermore, a more automated flow might be setup (especially in automatically linking a bicycle parking to a velopark entry). However, the idea is that a person is always the end responsible and makes sure the data quality is good.

This automated tools will in no case add new polygons nor change the location of polygons to OSM. New points might be added on a bigger scale by me in a (verified) import - if the data quality (esp. location) is good enough and there are no objections from the community.

In either case, please let me know if you have any doubts!

I will post a sneak peak of the tool soon.

1 Like

A first, very rudimentary version of the tool can be found here: Velopark naar OpenStreetMap sync tool

This version will evolve in the coming weeks.

1 Like

I gave it a shot. Some comments:

• for this one I tried to mark it as a linked. That had no visible effect. It is also unclear to the end user what osm parking it will be linked to
  • this one has clearly wrong data: it has a fee (you need a subscription). I see that I can choose that the data is wrong. But I wouldn’t mind still linking the object, without updating descriptive tags from velopark to osm
  • this one is described as several POI in OSM. So will the app link all of them?
  • that last one I noticed operator=Commune/Ville. Ideally, you would prepare the data in such a way that it says “Gemeente X” or “Commune de X” depending on the local language

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

I’ve made a few improvements to the UI to clarify this.

1. If you click ‘link’, it simply closes the maproulette-item. A small bug didn’t actually close this (fix in the pipeline)
  2. Linking only links and does not apply the attributes. You can select which attributes you want to apply in the next step. The description has been updated to indicate this.
  3. In case of multiple matches: this too disappeared due to a bug. One can choose which parking is linked
  4. This is out of scope